Anyone use the A Designs Pacifica?

musikman1

Jun 18, 2009
TX
www.myspace.com
Looking into buying one in the 500 series. And was wondering if some people on here used it and how it sounded on guitars. I'm looking for that huge sound. I already have the API 512c and looking for something a little different. So..at the moment I'm looking at the Great River, Shadow Hills, or the Electrodyne 501. So if anyone has any helpful info or sound clips, that would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I've used the P1
lovely pre.
Like a fatter 512.
still definatly got that punchy APIish sound; but a bit rounder.
LOVE the GAMA so much
and the great river.
all great choices

I've used the P1
lovely pre.
Like a fatter 512.
still definatly got that punchy APIish sound; but a bit rounder.
LOVE the GAMA so much
and the great river.
all great choices

Thanks Greyskull for the info. Makes me wish I had the money to buy all of them :rolleyes:....If only...if only. One of these days I'll get there lol.

So, IYO, what would be the most versatile out of the group? The GAMMA maybe? Since you can change between the transformers and have the option of even transformer-less for no color?

Is there any songs you can share with some of these pres in action by any chance?

Much appreciated. Take care.

I haven't used a Pacifica yet, but I can confirm the the Great River is a beast, and one of the best all-around pres you can get your hands on. It has more of a Neve-ish flavor and is an excellent compliment to the 512.

Looking into buying one in the 500 series. And was wondering if some people on here used it and how it sounded on guitars. I'm looking for that huge sound. I already have the API 512c and looking for something a little different. So..at the moment I'm looking at the Great River, Shadow Hills, or the Electrodyne 501. So if anyone has any helpful info or sound clips, that would be very appreciated. Thanks.

someone told me that the 500 series often differ grom their big brothers.
it has something to do with the power supply, voltage and stuff IIRC.
but i have no idea how much truth is behind all this,
the guy is an experioenced AE so i don't think that he is bullshitting.

as for the great river, i own the ME1-NV, kickass preamp, everything sounds kinda fat and puchy, love it!:headbang:

cheers
S.

Yeah, I've heard some great things about the MA5 too. How would you describe the sound and character from them?

Really hard to explain with word but nevish like.
Not exactly same color than GR but both are in this same 1272 tone like family.

I haven't used a Pacifica yet, but I can confirm the the Great River is a beast, and one of the best all-around pres you can get your hands on. It has more of a Neve-ish flavor and is an excellent compliment to the 512.

Yeah, It's definitely on my top since I can snag one pretty reasonable.

Oh, I just stumbled upon a huge 500 shootout. Seems pretty promising. It just doesn't have the Great River.

But heres the link to it if anyones interested:
500 Series Shootout

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

someone told me that the 500 series often differ grom their big brothers.
it has something to do with the power supply, voltage and stuff IIRC.
but i have no idea how much truth is behind all this,
the guy is an experioenced AE so i don't think that he is bullshitting.

as for the great river, i own the ME1-NV, kickass preamp, everything sounds kinda fat and puchy, love it!:headbang:

cheers
S.
I'm sure they might differ a little bit from they're racked family. Mostly because of they're smaller size. But I'm sure they don't differ to much.

Yeah, there seems to be alot of love for the GR. Which temps me more into getting it.:) Hell, maybe even throw in EQ along with it eventually as well. lol.

Really hard to explain with word but nevish like.
Not exactly same color than GR but both are in this same 1272 tone like family.
Gotcha. I thought the GR was in the 1073 style family though?

GR in 500 series are supposed to be absolutely identical in terms of sound. It has exact same transformers as the 1/2 rack unit. and Yes it's in 1073 family, just with different transformer flavor.

I have a GR and it's killer. Hate that it doesn't have a pad though.

GR in 500 series are supposed to be absolutely identical in terms of sound. It has exact same transformers as the 1/2 rack unit. and Yes it's in 1073 family, just with different transformer flavor.

at least its got an output trim. Id rather that than a pad!!
out of all of the pres you're looking at... id probably go with great river or shadow hills i think....

Yeah I was thinking it had to be a "different" transformer than the original 1073s. Actually, does any one know if any 500 series modules have a Iron transformer?

at least its got an output trim. Id rather that than a pad!!
out of all of the pres you're looking at... id probably go with great river or shadow hills i think....
Well, how does the SH sound with other sources? Cause right now the GR seems to get my attention with what all it can used on...little color...shitload of color..etc. But then again, they both seem pretty flexible. Does anyone happen to have sound clips to share of the preamps in a mix? Cause that would be great!:kickass:

You can read some interesting background on the Great River here:

http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivelmp.html

Thats a very interesting article. Thanks Cory.

But thanks for all the help so far guys. :headbang:

I'd probably go with the great river since you already have a 512 and the P1 is very API like. On guitars the Great River will probably be less mids, more chunky than the 512. If I ever get around to it I'll post samples of a 512 and Great River on guitar.