anyone who knows anything about RADIO

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
I don't know shit about radio transmissions, but reading up on them, I became curious about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_communication

The angle of refraction places a minimum on the distance at which the refracted beam will first return to Earth. This distance increases with frequency. As a result, any station employing DX will be surrounded by an annular dead zone where they can't hear other stations or be heard by them.

I don't understand why that would cause a "dead zone". If I start broadcasting with DX, suddenly I can't receive or transmit radio signals at all? Is that because of the weird tilt I have to put on my antenna (or dish, whatever), and I can only receive other DX communications or something? Maybe even just rephrasing it would help me understand.

does that have to do with waves cancelling eachother out? I don't really know anything about DX, but I know a decent amount about radio (my brother-in-law is manager/engineer for a fairly large station).

I think I know what you're referring to, and I don't think so. BCO is actually being pretty helpful on the subject right now, so I might not need this thread soon.