Apocalyptica - Worlds Collide

Black Core

Sir MIMA & Leo Godfather
Jan 27, 2006
Gierle (Belgium)
Release: September 17 - 2007

Apocalyptica started out playing Metallica covers on the cello but have grown to be so much more than that and they prove it again with their new album called "World Collide".
It's a mix of 4 vocal songs and 7 instrumental songs. For the vocals on this album they asked the help of some pretty big names. First vocal song on the cd is called "I'm not Jesus" and has the vocals of Corey Taylor (Slipknot/Stone Sour). Personally I think they could've done better with that song for it is in no way as good as the other 3 tracks. It's sounds just like we are used of Corey's voice when he sings with Stone Sour: A bit harsh but still enjoyable. Next song with vocals is "Helden" which allows Till Lindemann (Rammstein) to show what he's worth. I was told that this song is a german version of the song "Heroes" by David Bowie. Till's voice blends in perfectly with the instruments and is therefor in my humble opinion one of the best songs on the album. You'll also hear the voice of Adam Gontier (3 Days Grace) if you listen to "I don't care". Last but definitly not least you'll also hear Christina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) on the song "SOS (Anything but love)". The fact that she is used to sing in these kind of songs is noticeble. Her voice and experience are no doubt a plus to the song and the album as whole.

Along with these 4 songs, there are 7 purely instrumental tracks on World Collide. Again Apocalyptica does what they do best: a carpet of smooth sound on which the cellos flow sometimes fast and sometimes slow. Throw in some drums with all of that and you have the perfect sound of a melodic metal album. At some point the cellos even tend to sound like they have been distorted (listen to the song "Peace") which makes the album sound a little bit heavier than the previous one but this is in no way negative to the whole of the sound that they bring. They still sound like Apocalyptica and that's what they should keep on doing in the future.

This album gets a great 9/10