Arch Enemy / Hate Eternal / Evergrey show

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Evergrey took the gold medal last night. Even with sub-par PA system, they just stole the show. Without a doubt, Evergrey and Symphony X will rule ProgPower this year....Nightwish and Rage will have some tough competition I'm sure.

Evergrey have definitely become one of those bands for me that sound better live than in the studio, and after last night it just makes me want to listen to all their CD's again!

I missed Hate Eternal (well I saw a couple of minutes and it was pretty much white noise) and Exit to Eternity were on the second stage at the same time anyway and they just destroyed the crowd - as they always do. "Kristal Nacht" is such a phenomenal song in a live setting.

Arch Enemy were flawless - they played all their material very well. Angela became really guttural at times - weird seeing them for the first time after all the CD listening sessions. Chris Amott's solos were spot on. The only issue I had was that it was late and it was tough to stay in the mood. Have to say, the WoS and BB material worked best for me.

Sometimes the headliner act never gets the attention they probably deserve just because they come on stage so late (and so many beers have already been consumed).

Anyway, if I ever bashed Evergrey in the past, I now eat humble pie. Wonder if this will work for me if I ever see Nevermore?

By the way, I was talking to Tom Englund that night at their show, and I asked him if he thought Recreation Day was the best Evergrey album yet, and he said that the new stuff already sounds even better. Apparently, he's written half of the next album already...!

Evergrey is on my list of groups to tackle next... still waiting for Crimson II to get released to make a massive purchased (damn printing delays).

Demonspell said:
The fact that Evergrey manages to remain so productive and consistent despite their frequent lineup changes is impresssive...

Their lineup change has not been that extensive. They've only changed the keyboard player (he went to Soilwork) and now the drummer, which is not really going to effect their sound.