Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ARCH ENEMY – WAGES OF SIN
Century Media - 2002

By Rodrigo

At long last, the domestic release of Wages of Sin is here and the wait for those who didn’t get the imports is well worth it because this is one awesome release! The biggest difference between this new album and the previous albums by Arch Enemy is new singer Angela Gossow. Nothing against Johan Liiva but Angela and the band is the perfect match. Her aggressive style fits perfectly to the darker and more intense music of Wages of Sin. All these ingredients have made Wages of Sin a supreme and defining album to the band’s history.

With a short piano intro, followed by intense drumming and bass, one guitar and then the next, "Enemy Within" starts off and when Angela starts singing you just can’t help but think at how great the band sounds now. This song is an intense, head banging, metal ride that must played at the loudest levels possible. "Burning Angel" follows it and the guitar lead in the beginning is awesome, especially when both Amott brothers (Michael and Christopher) are playing it at the same time. "Ravenous" contains a part :)35-:45) where there is a great drum beat (Daniel Erlandsson) with some cool melodic guitar leads and there are a few more occasions where this part is repeated and I think it just rules! Plus, one can’t help but scream out loud "RAVENOUS!" during the chorus. "Dead Bury their Dead", the song that began their encore at their Hollywood show, has to have one of the coolest intro’s that just basically makes the listener bang their head in unison. "Web of Lies" starts slowly in the verses but it soon takes off at the chorus with blazing guitars and more of the great singing of Angela.

"Heart of Darkness" is a slower, fist pumping, aggressive song where the band showcases some diversity and difference in tempo. "Savage Messiah" follows this similar pace and "Snow Bound" is a beautiful melodic guitar instrumental where the band shows its not all about aggression.

With this release, Arch Enemy have really stepped it up and come out with an excellent record. If they weren’t before, they should now be considered one of the top melodic death metal bands out there. This release has put them at or near the top and its about time that the rest of the world and those few who got the import get to hear it now. The Century Media release of Wages of Sin contains an unreleased bonus track as well as video for "Ravenous" plus a second CD, that contains the Japanese bonus tracks from previous releases as well as a video for "The Immortal". The wait was long, there are some extra goodies, all in all Wages of Sin is a release that should satisfy any fan of metal!

Century Media Website
Arch Enemy Official Website

I highly concur! Angela Gossow ought to silence any idiot out there who still thinks that women can't hang with the boys when it comes to the metal. Those vicious, vitriolic screams of hers will shut 'em up but good!

The album itself is EXCELLENT, with all the power, class, melody, and balls we've come to expect from AE and then some, with the usual fine guitar work from the Bros. Amott all over it. Daniel Erlandsson has really improved as a drummer since the olden days, he is even tighter and more precise--which says something as he was damn good in the first pace--and Sharlee D'Angelo is no slouch on the bass, either. Both are a rock-solid rhythm section that really anchor the songs the way they ought to be.

Did I mention that this CD is also incredibly, spinesnappingly HEAVY? The Studio Fredman production job only makes it sound even heavier and more aggressive--Chuck Schuldiner was right all those years ago when he said that clean production only enhances how heavy a band sounds, as well as showing just how good the musicians really are. (Therefore, I think all those stupid "necro" fanboys in the black metal scene who think an album sucks if it has professional production quality are both closedminded and full of it.)

The extra CD with the bonus tracks only shows how limited Johan was in the vocal dept compared to Angela, with "Aces High" really ramming that home. But that aside, I LOOOOOVE this album and it already is my top CD of this year unless something else even more massive comes along to unseat it...

Holy shit!!, this album is incredible one of the Ammot brothers greatest displays of what is truly some of the greatest lead work I have heard to date Angela's vocals are aggressive I never thought a woman could sound so amazing plus she is one hot number. Hats off to Arch Enemy you have blown me away one more time

i must agree with all you guys, this album fucking is pure ownage, i actually got to check these guys out in austin, tx when nile was headlining, i think nile tore it up alright, but in my mind ARCH ENEMY stole the show.......................you guys fucking rock and album kicks me in my fucking ass!!!!! it is a must buy.
RAVENOUS, I WILL BE A GOD!!!