Arch/Matheos

Talking Backwards

Senior Citizen
Oct 5, 2009
Does anyone else find John Arch to be extremely annoying quite often on this album? I'm definitely not one to shy away from the higher ranged vocals, but when the vocals remain almost entirely there for every single song it really starts to wear out it's welcome. At least Midnight knew how to hit the midrange when it was required and his emotive delivery was leagues beyond Arch. The music on this album is also fucking fanstastic, yet the vocals ruin so many of the songs for me. Maybe these vocals were something special in 84 when they were relatively unheard of, but after Warrel Dane, King Diamond and Mikael Akerfeldt I need more.

either you love arch or you hate him, there really is no in between.

and yeah, he's definitely not singing as high as he used to, so I guess you are not a fan of early fates either?

If not, nothing about arch's voice will change your mind on this one.

personally, it's the best thing to come from the FW camp since APSOG

I enjoy the early Fates albums, the music is really good. I do not like Arch as a singer. I really think he held Fates Warning back from growing. His voice is very limited, in my opinion. I, agree, that you either love his voice, or hate it. There are worse singers out there, though.

personally, it's the best thing to come from the FW camp since APSOG
I think I still dig "A twist of fate" a bit more. It feels more spontaneous. Then again I am off to listen to the A/M CD once more, maybe I am wrong somewhere.