Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Archean Harmony – Nihility Mundane Soul
Solemn Music 2001
By Russell Garwood

Founded in 1995, Archean Harmony play a progressive death/black hybrid, and “Nihility Mundane Soul” is a re-release of the 1999 demo of the same name. Recorded with an incomplete line-up, this debut release features Darkmortem on sampling and vox, guitarist Adrameleck and Lord Trebor, who is responsible for most of the instruments (lead, rhythm & acoustic guitars, bass, orchestration and drum programming). The music has symphonic and avante-garde elements with enough melody to make it memorable.

Only 30 minutes long, this short recording opens with the choirs, piano and acoustic guitar of “Nihility Mundane Soul… Eschatology Bereft, l’Apostasy”, which quickly enters a heavy yet tuneful section. The vocals are the usual black metal screech with some whispering, and the music is melodic throughout, symphonics and piano helping to add variety. A blasting ending prepares you for “Metabolism Under The Ascending Moon Part i”, in which the programmed drums can, at times, feel tinny. The instrumentation, however, builds impressive atmosphere, a quiet section providing a pleasant refrain and adding a carnival feel. This is maintained for the remainder of the song, after which “Metabolism Under The Ascending Moon Part ii” turns the volume up to full. A more extreme effort than part i, relaxed, melodic sections remain, contrasting the numerous harsher onslaughts. The album is ended by the positively technical effort “Venery Dreams”, a progressive song which holds your attention and forms a fitting conclusion.

The production on “Nihility Mundane Soul” is reasonable; everything is audible and relatively clear, but somehow lacks power. For such a small label, however, this is an impressive release with enjoyable artwork and a professional appearance. More importantly, Archean Harmony’s music is excellent, the avante-garde black/death mixture and complex compositions making for a truly memorable promo. It is a shame that in future releases “the band has dropped all avante-garde and most of the symphonic parts” as I fear this is what makes Archean Harmony’s mix slightly out of the ordinary.