Ark? What Happened?

savabich2

Aug 9, 2005
I just stumbled across this CD, a leftover from my ex-boyfriend but i can't find the sleeve?

What happened to these guys? The drumming is phenomenal!!

Who's on it?

Jørn Lande (Masterplan, Jorn,etc) on vocals, Tore Østby (ex-Conception) on guitar, Randy Coven on bass, Matts Olausson (ex-Yngwie) on keys, and John Macaluso (ex-TNT) on drums. Jørn left a few years ago and i havent heard any news since then.

What do you have? They put out two CDs, the self-titled debut and Burn The Sun. The former was good, the latter was a prog classic in my eyes.

Jørn left a while ago, although a new album called Aradiokaos was recorded (according to Macaluso's site) however from what I could gather from the sparse information on the Ark forum there was some disagreement, probably between Østby and Macaluso and tragically, they decided not to release the new album. The website has been inaccessible now for at least a month. The free mp3s linked to by the site are still valid links (Resurrection, Just A Little, Burn The Sun Medley)

John Macaluso has also drummed for Yngwie and is currently in Magnus Karlsson's Starbreaker (the guy who wrote and played guitar & keys on The Battle featuring Jørn & Russell Allen).
Macaluso also has an instrumental prog/experimental project with Italian guitarist Alex Masi and Ark's bassist Randy Coven called MCM.

Jørn's new band is Masterplan, and he has also done several solo albums along the way, which are all quite good, but nothing tops "Burn the Sun" to me.

Excellent info thank you so much!

Ahh, I thought that drumming was familiar, what Yngwie album/ tour was he on?

Kenneth R. said:
Jørn's new band is Masterplan, and he has also done several solo albums along the way, which are all quite good, but nothing tops "Burn the Sun" to me.

Jørn just left Masterplan as well, which really sucks because i really liked Aeronautics a lot. I'm not too crazy about his solo stuff.

Ark had the potential to be bigger than they were. I too loved the drumming on both albums and Jorn's voice is superb. If only more bands were as diverse as they were.

progmetalgod said:
Ark had the potential to be bigger than they were. I too loved the drumming on both albums and Jorn's voice is superb. If only more bands were as diverse as they were.

Totally, mate!! I discovered Burn The Sun almost by accident - what a discovery!! Fantastic playing, singing and diversity, without losing the essence of what they were trying to do. One of the finest albums in my collection. :kickass:

savabich2 said:
Did John just tour with George Lynch as well?

Yes, and more recently, John toured with James Labrie of Dream Theater.
But yes, Ark are no more, sadly. Huge bummer, I loved those guys.

John Macaluso did play live for James Labrie's solo tour just about 2 years ago. Only played 3 shows in America then a quick tour with Evergrey over the pond. Ark Played at Progpower 2 and Jorn wil be headlining the show this year and PP7. This would be the best chance to see Ark material live.

Holy crap I LOVED Dali's Dilema!!

Labrie grabbed a couple of those guys for Mullmuzler didn't he?

You go right ahead and hijack this thread for those guys, i don't mind.

Still haven't found any news on Randy Coven or the guitarist yet, for the life of me I can't spell his name.

tor, torre Bitor?