ART Voice Channel

Randyisgod15

Mikey B Nasty
Apr 15, 2008
New York
Anybody have/use one of these?

ART Voice Channel

Debating whether or not to gift this to myself for the holidays. (Non-bellowing) Vocals from my Liquid Pres on my LS56 with my SM7B come in at such a low level, even when cranked, so I figured I'd try and spice it up. Been hearing decent reviews on it, but you can only trust Sweetwater and a few Gearslutz comments so much.

Not sure if I should spring for solely a Pre or a Channel Strip. A guy I work with was kind of swaying me to go with a channel strip, but I really won't know if I'd put the Compressor, Gate, etc. to use on it or if I'd just stick to using plugs when needed. From what I understand you can output both the dry, straight pre-amped signal, and the wet signal. Also has Word Clock, ADAT, S/PDIF, Optical out, USB (not that I'd use it), so there's not a lack of options.

I've also been considering getting the Golden Age Pre-73 lately, and with more suggestions comes endless debating ha :loco:.

I don't use it on vocals, I use my Apogee pre's but I love the GAP Pre73 on guitars and bass.

Does it add a bad character to the vocals or something, or is it just not AS good as the Apogee on vox?

If I were to get it, it would be to escape the preamp on my Firepod whenever possible.

Do you have the Stock 73 or have it modded? I was considering having it modded, either from Zenaudio or a tech my friend knows at Alto Music. I've read that it does make a difference, but then you're also doubling the price. Also unless you have two I can't stick it in my rack :(. Not a biggie but my rack could use some sprucing up.

So you would recommend the 73 over the ART Voice Channel strip? I don't necessarily need the compression, etc. but it would be a nice feature if the pre was comparable to the 73.

Does it add a bad character to the vocals or something, or is it just not AS good as the Apogee on vox?

If I were to get it, it would be to escape the preamp on my Firepod whenever possible.

Well it's two different types of pre's, the Apogee is a really clean pre and the 73 is a colored pre

I wouldn't say the 73 sounds bad on vocals, I just like the Apogee more.

Do you have the Stock 73 or have it modded? I was considering having it modded, either from Zenaudio or a tech my friend knows at Alto Music. I've read that it does make a difference, but then you're also doubling the price. Also unless you have two I can't stick it in my rack :(. Not a biggie but my rack could use some sprucing up.

So you would recommend the 73 over the ART Voice Channel strip? I don't necessarily need the compression, etc. but it would be a nice feature if the pre was comparable to the 73.

Mine are stock. I have two of them in the rack adapter. I've never personally used the ART channel strip so I wouldn't be able to tell you how they compare.

It's a real toss up for me between the Art and GAP. From what I hear I may go the distance with GAP and get the mods. So I may spring for the ART first, and then when funds are adequate I'll get the GAP.

For the time being I really need a pre to track vocals with. I am satisfied with the Liquid Pres on my Saffire to track Guitar and whatnot. For my budget the ART seems to be the best choice, but if you know of anything you'd recommend by all means persuade me otherwise. It's not in stock atm at Sweetwater so I'll wait till next week to order.

Also, I have just realized they've released the next gen iLok, which is what I was waiting for before I ordered Pro Tools 9. So there goes all of the Gear Fund for the time being ha.