ARTENSION

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
Okay, here is aband i don't think i have seen mentioned at all on here. But why not ARTENSION as either a #4 or 5 for PPVII? I mean they are so frigiing talented, and rumor has it John West has left Royal Hunt to devote more time to solo projects and ARTENSION. Has anyone heard that rumor?? But honestly they would be great, they are such awesome musicians, and with John's voice. I haven't seen anyone mention that John was also Ray Gilliam's replacement in BADLANDS, even though they only stayed together for a year after John joined. Well this is just a though i had while feeling so bummed out and depressed about not getting to see the last NIGHTWISH concert of the "ONCE" tour, i wanted to see John Two Hawks, he is such a great Native American ambassador, and a fabulous musician(See AMBR's remarks in her Nightwish thread). Also it would be so great to have NIGHTWISH back next year, just a though. i better stop rambling.

John

I think I mentioned them some time ago, probably on one of my list of wants for last year, but think they would be a great band for PP.

TheWhisper said:
I think I mentioned them some time ago, probably on one of my list of wants for last year, but think they would be a great band for PP.
DUHHHHHH you're right you did, i forgot, it's this old age creeping up on me.

John

Pyramaze51 said:
DUHHHHHH you're right you did, i forgot, it's this old age creeping up on me.

John
It had been so long ago that I couldn't remember if I had put them on one of my lists or not. I agree with nightwish in that I don't think they would get higher than a 3rd slot, but I think they would go over very well.

Pus, I just can't see Royal Hunt on the PP bill...for some reason,hmmm.

I've mentioned John West a few times in relation with Royal Hunt, but also added that it would be great just to get him into PP...whether that be solo or w/Artension. Great vocalist who tried out for Journey (as did Geoff Tate...believe that?). He also did a release with David Feinstein called Feinstein & titled "Third Wish" which is a good listen. And he did an album containing material that Cozy Powell wrote before his passing (RIP)...laid vocals down on it after the fact. Artension would be excellent for PP...very technical, but also does some great straight speed metalling...i.e. "Dark Before the Dawn" on new release Future World, reference Stratovarius here.

Ascension said:
I've mentioned John West a few times in relation with Royal Hunt, but also added that it would be great just to get him into PP...whether that be solo or w/Artension. Great vocalist who tried out for Journey (as did Geoff Tate...believe that?). He also did a release with David Feinstein called Feinstein & titled "Third Wish" which is a good listen. And he did an album containing material that Cozy Powell wrote before his passing (RIP)...laid vocals down on it after the fact. Artension would be excellent for PP...very technical, but also does some great straight speed metalling...i.e. "Dark Before the Dawn" on new release Future World, reference Stratovarius here.
John is a great vocalists, and has done some amazing stuff, i thought i was the only one who knew of the Journey try out, did you hear why he wasn't selected???? It's really funny. My favorite by John is Stand Sentinel Stand that is the most awesome use of vocals i have heard. Well just my thoughts on Mr John West, who i would love to see again and talk to again in any form whether Artension or solo or even Feinstein. OPPS i got the playing order wrong again i too feel no higher than 3 for ARTENSION but they would be great.

Artension's been on my wish list since I found out that this would be an annual festival. Their catalog alone warrants a #3 slot, though their album sales may knock them down. It's a shame, especially since they're an extremely talented bunch. I've just always wanted to see if they could pull it off (particularly Vitalij). What really pisses me off is that I actually saw John West perform with Lynch Mob back in March of 1998 and that I didn't pay much attention to his performance due to my lack of knowing who he was at the time and my complete devotion to George Lynch's playing. When a friend of mine turned me onto Artension a few months after the show, she pointed out that the singer who now blew my mind in this progressive metal band was in fact the same guy I had seen with Lynch. If only I could hop into a time machine and go back to that show...

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

John west is amazing and it would be great to see him at PP in any capacity!

FatesFan said:
John west is amazing and it would be great to see him at PP in any capacity!
You got that right JOHN WEST is the most amazing vocalist in person i have ever seen. I got the chance a few years back in Japan. Truly amazing stage presence, and the way he interacts with the crowd, what i would love to see, but i know this is wishful thinking is my three favorite male vocalists together for a few songs JOHN WEST, DC COOPER, and LANCE KING. To me those are the greatest there are and anyone of the three by themselves would be great but all three it would be like the "The Three Tenors of Metal".

john

yeah, i think i have to agree that his voice is quite annoying, but Artension themselves has been one of my favorite bands for ages... i own all there albums. Listen to "Machine", i think John's voice doesn't go more annoying than on that album...btw, trust me, i know he is a really really good singer, but just annoying. For people who only know Vitalij Kuprij playing in Artension, check out ALL his solo projects and contributions....he has won awards since being a teenager for playing chopin works. And as a request to be on PPVI...i would say of course...Artension alone would make me go to the next PP.

I would love to see Artension at PPUSA. John Wests voice is great and most of the Artension albums are awesome (espacially Sacred pathways)

I agree, John West in any shape, form, or fashion is highly needed at ProgPower!

As for Artension, I've always viewed their CDs as inconsistent. The most consistent one IMO is Pheonix Rising.

My first choice would be seeing John with Royal Hunt.

Yes, John was Ray's replacement in Badlands, but I don't think the band had the fire that they needed to keep going after Ray left. A Ray Gillen can't be replaced!

Ascension said:

I'd love to see John West at Prog Power! Obviously we won't see him with Royal Hunt but Artension would be fine, although I'd DEFINITELY prefer to see him with Feinstein! Third Wish is brilliant and it's obvious from that CD that John was born to sing Power Metal! Royal Hunt and Artension are good, but he just took it to another level with Feinstein. Not to mention Feinstein's guitar work and song writing on Third Wish was also top notch. Third Wish was in my top 5 albums last year! (#4)

edgeofthorns said:
Yes, John was Ray's replacement in Badlands, but I don't think the band had the fire that they needed to keep going after Ray left. A Ray Gillen can't be replaced!

As someone who was lucky enough to see Ray perform, I know that's the truth! He was like seeing a young David Coverdale or Ian Gillan the way he could just stand there and belt out a song while holding the audience in the palm of his hand. What a great voice and a great performer. He's still missed.