Artsy Fartsy Thread

The plushy dead

Julie Black, a young artist in Lawrence, Kansas, is exhibiting a collection of deceased and eviscerated dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, and birds constructed out of felt and sequins. (Photo at left by Thad Allender.) From an article about her gallery show, "Dead Pets for Sale":

black.jpg
"I try to work with material accessible to kids," she said. "All the guts are filled with what would be inside Beanie Babies."

Combining a childlike stuffed animal with the gore of intestines bursting out appealed to the artist....

According to Black's artist statement, "Dead Pets for Sale" was the embodiment of her upbringing -- she said she grew up in a violent atmosphere -- and a viable truth she learned that can pertain to all subjects: that the grotesque can be beautiful and vice versa.​
Link (via Fortean Times)

yeah, I sometimes wonder about what gets called art these days. Anybody hear about the guy who was selling his feces for massive amounts of money because he claimed that was art.

generally speaking, for myself, when someone MAKES something i guess it can be art to them so w/e i don't bother fucking around with the definition b/c who the hell am i to know?

HOWEVER, i always compare everything to barry mcgee. and well, most people lose.

sanfranart3.jpg

I HAVE to have this book!

Great new Lowbrow art book: Pop Surrealism
popsurrealism.jpg

I just got a copy of Pop Surrealism: The Rise of Underground Art, a wonderful new book about Lowbrow art, which my friend Kirsten Anderson edited. Kirsten is the owner of the Roq La Rue gallery in Seattle, which features the kind of underground art in this book. Many of my favorite artists are included here, such as Tim Biskup, Mark Ryden, Shag, Robert Williams, Isabel Samaris, Charles Krafft, Glenn Barr, and Todd Schorr, plus several artists I've never heard of, but am happy to have discovered. The book's design is excellent. There are also essays by Robert Williams, Carlo McCormick, and Larry Reid.

(copied from boingboing.net)