Ashen Reign – Immortality

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Ashen Reign – Immortality
Self Release – 2008
By Ryan Starr

Cover_small.jpg

Oh great, yet another guitar shredder who has decided he can write, and record, and entire album on his own. Too many people have walked this path before, and while some make song great music, most don’t. Ashen Reign falls in the latter category.

The first thing that hit me was the terrible vocals. His highs seem constricted, his lows flat, and everything pitchy. Mr. McDaniel also tries doubling his vocals, which was very very bad idea. His pitch problems come to the forefront in these sections, and it’s quite obvious that the two vocal parts are out of tune. It’s apparent that McDaniel is not meant to be singer.

However, there is some hope found in the guitars. His solos are good and riffing is ok. Clearly McDaniel has some talent on the guitar, but I think his writing is a little stale, and this is a pitfall of solo recording. Everyone, including myself, has thought about recording a solo album in a home studio. It’s a tempting idea, especially when you’re having a hard time finding a band. But I have come to realize that the creative process is enhanced by multiple ideas and opinions, and you can only get that in a real band.

I think if Ashen Reign becomes a full band, they have the potential for putting out some rockin traditional metal. But until that happens, I don’t see anything good coming from this project. Sorry Brent, this is a no go for me.

Official Ashen Reign Website
Official Ashen Reign Myspace