Asking if anyone has heard of this group

May 9, 2003
I know it is very common for a prog metal fan to like a group that no others have ever heard of but I just wonder if anyone here has heard of them. The group is called Madsword. I think they are from Italy and don't think you can find their cd's anywhere in the U.S.. My friend who does business with Century Media orders just about all my prog metal cd's and even he barely got his hands on 2 copies of their cd titiled Global Village (one for him and one for me!). At first I didn't think it was as good as I thought it would but it now has started to grow on me. Just wondering if anyone are fans of this band.

YES!!!! "The Global Village" is one of my favorite albums ever! You can find it at http://www.lasercd.com I also saw one vendor had it at last week's Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles fest in Cleveland.

"The Global Village" is a very unique... warm... and expressive album. When listening to "Darkened Rooms"... I feel like I'm walking through lush fields of gold. Gianni's guitar solos on that track and "Time In The Ice" are among the best solos I've ever heard. And the keyboard textures throughout are excellent. Love the unique vocals as well... seems to have a jazz style to his singing... very warm voice. The songs are simply amazing... brainscapes in passion colors. It just kills me that they broke up after this album due to "lack of sales"! This band had so much promise... if "The Global Village" was so great... I can't even imagine what they could have produced in the ensuing years.

No doubt! I just felt the album was so current, so,... important.

It's sad, really. Like you said about so many bands that no one listens to. This never would have happened if the genre were a little more than underground.

Wow! Quick replies! I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates this group. But now I am angry cause I had no clue they broke up! That stinks, did they have any albums before that? I would think they did because the album Global Village isn't self titled and most groups' first albums are self title (most not all). How low of sales could they have had? They were prog metal, what prog metal band doesn't have low sales? I guess it is a different story in Europe.

They released an ep in 1996...

I imagine Madsword must have had extremely low sales... because even amongst our prog-metal community... nobody knows who this band is... despite their great musical talent and songwriting prowess...