astronomers find over 150 signals of possible extraterrestrial intelligence

Stygian_Apothegm

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2003
Athens, Jo'gia
stygianapothegm.iuma.com
With the help of 4 million computers worldwide, astronomers have identified more than 150 radio signals from space that may come from intelligent civilizations. Scientists might not find alien life this week, but one researcher says that "earthlings will find E.T. in the next 100 years."

i think this is FUCKING BADASS! i didnt think we'd ever find ETs in my lifetime. with the constant advancement of technology it might even be sooner than 100 years. ah this is cool!

anyone seen Contact? RELIGIONS ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jo
Stygian_Apothegm said:
anyone seen Contact? RELIGIONS ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!

hahah, and Contact disproved religion? No, that movie only asked even more questions, IMHO.

Just because people find out that aliens do exist, it doesn't mean that they will stop believing in God. Aliens wouldn't disprove God to them, it'd only prove that he's even more creative and diverse than people had known before.

i hope we encounter aliens, that'd be amazing.
i have a friend that is kinda part of this SETI thing (Search for Extra-Terestrial Intelligence) and his computer is given tasks by it...wonder if he was one of those four million computers.Search for Extra-Terestrial Intelligence.

It would depend on the actual religious person. Fundies like Falwell and Robertson (they'll be dead by then though) would say that the aliens weren't E.T.'s at all, but merely demons sent by Satan trying to shake the faith of the story of Creation. :lol:

Stygian_Apothegm said:
i think this is FUCKING BADASS! i didnt think we'd ever find ETs in my lifetime. with the constant advancement of technology it might even be sooner than 100 years. ah this is cool!

Lol, dude, the way you tend to get people on your badside, we probably won't see intelligent life in YOUR lifetime. :) (sorry, dude, I couldn't resist)

I'm pissing my pants here! Can you give me more information or something? Is there a link about this or something???

Are you sure there are no kinds of stars that give off radio waves? What was on the radio signals? etc. etc.?

Also, all you fucking spamming morons.. a thread like this almost falls off the first page in 3 hours, and yet the "I'm a disgusting brainless whore thread that wants attention" thread gets 10,000 views

Reactions: Lina
maximilian said:
i hope we encounter aliens, that'd be amazing.
i have a friend that is kinda part of this SETI thing (Search for Extra-Terestrial Intelligence) and his computer is given tasks by it...wonder if he was one of those four million computers.Search for Extra-Terestrial Intelligence.
Interesting. Here ( http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ) is the link to download the SETI program and find out more info. I am going to read about it and probably download the program to offer my resources when I'm not using them. :)

Cool stuff.

Oyo said:
So SETI actually found all these radio signals? How did it find so many at once??

[geekspeak]There's a program called SETI At Home, where the radio signals are distributed among individual users at home. It uses the user's PC processor(s) to look for signals and send the results back to UC Berkeley's SETI center. I'm one of the many people that volunteer my CPU time and processing power for SETI.[/geekspeak]

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Lethe78 said:
Stygian_Apothegm said:

Lol, dude, the way you tend to get people on your badside, we probably won't see intelligent life in YOUR lifetime. :) (sorry, dude, I couldn't resist)
i dont get it ..

Oyo said:
So SETI actually found all these radio signals? How did it find so many at once??

no, it's more like "candidates" for such, but nothing as of yet certain.

i think when the aliens come we'll need the overlording a.i. cyborgs to protect us!

I just installed SETI @ home and set it up to run in the background all the time, but it was using all of my CPU so I set it to screensaver and when I have the program maximized. I was reluctant to have it as the screensaver because I have trouble with screensavers...they cause mIRC to time out all the time and mess up my downloads. I'll try this, though, as I think it's an interesting concept and want to help with it. :)