At a bit of a crossroads with my mixes (the ol' 2 vs 4 tracks milarky. Need opinions)

There is almost no discernible difference to me in those last two Dual/Quad tracks... but you can definitely "feel" it more in the "quad" file... I'd say quad track, but don't use that tone as your final... theres something weird/squishy about it...

Yeah man I've been quite concerned with the tone lately and I can't put my finger on why. I like it, it's aggressive and has the right "size" but there's something about the body of it that bugs me. Like there's no weight to it, no substance so to speak. Too much gain perhaps? I don't think so though... What would you guys suggest?

Anybody know what all albums Andy has mixed that were just double tracked? off the top of my head I just know The Ills of Modern Man by Despised Icon...

Really? Then I'm fixed with going double tracked. Killer tone, yet just at its place in the mix.

Yeah man I've been quite concerned with the tone lately and I can't put my finger on why. I like it, it's aggressive and has the right "size" but there's something about the body of it that bugs me. Like there's no weight to it, no substance so to speak. Too much gain perhaps? I don't think so though... What would you guys suggest?

Turning the gain down, and the mids up :D

Almost every time I quad track it turns to mush, until I turn the gain down a lot, so its almost like a heavy crunch, but those 4 tracks of crunch turn into a roar once you render them!

I have used single (intro and bridges), dual (verses), quad (choruses) and octatracking in a single song, the octa(8) as an effect on the last chorus.

8 tracks?!?! How did that sound?

I once tried 12 tracks :erk: all i can say is it sounded like total shite

Turning the gain down, and the mids up :D

Almost every time I quad track it turns to mush, until I turn the gain down a lot, so its almost like a heavy crunch, but those 4 tracks of crunch turn into a roar once you render them!

Fuckin ay man more mids was certainly a key there. I mean in case you hadn't already noticed, we use 7 strings down in Bb standard, so the more mids the better! Just gave it a try and it's already a massive improvement.

I get a little concerned with how my palm mutes behave under really low gain though. Sounds weird but they sound stiff and brittle with little gain, but sound much smoother and more compressed (naturally) with a bit more oomph, which is why i'm always hesitant to turn the gain down too much! :confused:

Fuckin ay man more mids was certainly a key there. I mean in case you hadn't already noticed, we use 7 strings down in Bb standard, so the more mids the better! Just gave it a try and it's already a massive improvement.

I get a little concerned with how my palm mutes behave under really low gain though. Sounds weird but they sound stiff and brittle with little gain, but sound much smoother and more compressed (naturally) with a bit more oomph, which is why i'm always hesitant to turn the gain down too much! :confused:

You could have the gain a bit higher on the two tracks panned 100%, and have it lower on the two tracks panned 80 or 85% maybe

Hmmm.... yes, I know exactly what you're saying, I've often wondered if I palm mute too much for want of a better term. I know that's not what you're saying I think you get what I mean.

Really? Then I'm fixed with going double tracked. Killer tone, yet just at its place in the mix.

Yeah, that cd is just two tracks of Peavey JSX. I think I prefer double tracking for fast paced stuff like that that is meant to sound really tight and have a lot of impact.

Honestly, there are tons of albums that are only double tracked that sound killer.

Yeah, like... Pantera in its entirety! Dimebag's tone was disgusting and I will forever hate it, but the energy and tightness was unreal. I think he quad tracked in a few places though, but for the most part I'm pretty sure it's just dual.

I think that a some of the stuff of The Great Southern Trendkill was quad tracked, but all the earlier stuff was double tracked

Yeah man I think you're right.

FWIW, I quad tracked this track...

However, it needs re-recording, and the prospect of getting those 4 tracks in time again makes me want to cry! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me. Have you worked on the bass sound? good guitar sound need good bass.

No that's an ooooooooollllddddd mix man, sounds nothing like the current album mix in any way. I hated the tone of that guitar, hence why I got rid of it. Even with BKP's it still sounded mushy and papery, so once I sold it and bought the ESP I started re-recording everything. Drums are crap, bass is nearly non-existent, so... it all needs re-doing with the current mix. That's if we keep this song of course, we may drop it, not sure yet...

totally depends really.
mix it up.
I'm really into one track per player at the mo, except lead parts, but then again I havnt done teh Metalz for a few months