At the Gates - "At War With Reality"

I'm definitely interested to hear the whole album. Bits I did hear were good enough to pique me interest.

'mainstream' metal publications are often pretty generous to 'major' bands unless it just totally sucks, buuut yes i looking forward to hearing it and hoping it rules. i dont really need another SOTS but im not opposed to one.

It has leaked, I am on my first listen through.

This is some seriously good shit. I'd say it is 45% Slaughter of the soul, 45% Terminal Spirit Disease and 10% With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness.

Fuck you guys if you start ragging on this album.

you guys, i broke down. put in a pre-order and downloaded the leak. i'm going to post some first thoughts as i listen. you all can take the journey with me.

First listen, naaahhh...second listen.....hmmm...after that, this is a great album! Few songs too long, would cut the songs 3 and 4.

almost finished with my first listen. i was kind of turned off at first by the very modern 'hardcore' sound. the album sort of returns to form once it gets going... there are some awesome songs with very catchy melodies, which is obviously what everyone is looking for. good first impressions, i am confident that it will be a grower. not bad for a comeback album after 20 years!

i listened and i'm not impressed

with the music

and i'm not even going to do my usual routine of "they completely fucked up the mastering and it sounds like hot garbage" because everyone already knew this going into a big-name 2014 metal album

FIRST IMPRESSIONS, cont'd.

it sounds a lot like a bunch of fairly old people who were once in at the gates, but have not been for a very long time, sat down and thought hard about what they recall at the gates probably sounded like back in the day and then did their best to mimic that

and they would have sat down with their guitars, self-editing and second-guessing, constantly trying real hard to think in AT THE GATES MODE. they would have had to consciously steer away from whatever other tricks they had learned since 1996, whatever changed about their personalities, their musical ideals, and so forth

and yes! now there's a little riff that is kind of like the one in the old songs, you know the one, and didn't we sometimes have a clean guitar part like this? and yes this solo is kind of like the one in XYZ and this instrumental is kind of like "the scar" right? and see, we got tremolo riffs (we used to have those in 1993, remember?) so this is TOTALLY NOT just a less catchy/more pretentious sots rehash guys.

so it sounds like self-tribute and repetition and nostalgia. it doesn't sound like purity of vision or anger or enthusiasm.

it sounds a lot like $$$ DOLLAR SIGNS $$$ appearing in the hungry eyes of century media execs from people mashing the purchase button to buy the same fucking album in five different lp colours for $100 american. sold out.

good review. you hit the nail on the head with-

so it sounds like self-tribute and repetition and nostalgia. it doesn't sound like purity of vision or anger or enthusiasm.

and that link for the vinyls... that shit is fucking insane.

in all seriousness, you are probably right about all of that. i have listened three times so far, and i definitely had higher expectations. i was hoping for a thoughtfully-crafted SOTS-type album loaded with a whole new set of sugar-sweet harmonies, but of the same or higher quality. half of this album has that, and the other half is a bunch of uninspired hardcore riffs. by no means a bad release, but this will not be very memorable. still, i am enjoying a lot of the material even though it doesnt come close to their past work.

i remember when the band got back together in 2008 or whenever that was. they kept saying that they did not want to taint the legacy of SOTS as their swan song. well, oh well. i guess when you're 40-something and it has been 20 years, you sort of change your mind about some things.

first day rating 6.7/10 (sure to change)

i personally dont give a shit about this album, but did anyone TRULY expect a masterpiece here? or just "i want to hear new shit from those guys that released good shit 20 years ago"? yall are turning into lurch, which can be a good thing in some cases, but bad when looking for solid 2000's albums from great 80s/90s bands.

just. stop.

that being said, the carcass album and the newer asphyx stuff is good, but doesnt touch necroticism or last one on earth. not even the same fucking ballpark

i personally dont give a shit about this album, but did anyone TRULY expect a masterpiece here?

no

i don't think even the band expects to live up to their legacy if they were truly honest with themselves

so i can't under$tand what po$$ible rea$on they could have for even bothering to record new $tuff

or just "i want to hear new shit from those guys that released good shit 20 years ago"? yall are turning into lurch, which can be a good thing in some cases, but bad when looking for solid 2000's albums from great 80s/90s bands.

just. stop.
for me it's not that

i know it's gonna be pretty bad, like everything else is

but i mean, you can't blame a guy for having some curiosity and wanting to see what they've cooked up

these are (mostly) the same guys that once recorded the #1 Best Death Metal Album Ever of All Time Ever, so i'm bound to have at least an academic interest in whatever the fuck it is they find themselves doing today

i think it's a shame that they decided to do this, but now that it's here and the cat can't be put back in the bag, might as well roll with it

who wants to bet this shit will pop up on ebay any day for twice as much BRAND NEW L@@K OOP MEGARARE HTF 1ST PRESS

any takers?

not even twice as much, they're going to break up the package and sell the individual vinyl

maybe they keep their favourite colour and sell the rest, end up making a fair bit of spare coffee change

all oop metal vinyl that is even semi popular eventually ends up on ebay for at least $35-ish a pop

and this is The New At The Fucking Gates Album On Limited Coloured Vinyl so expect $50-100 after a while

and these guys just got 5 of em for a mere hundred, do the math

it basically ends up being pointless as fuck for anyone who's into it for the music but a real good deal for metal stock market scalpers

good work century media