ATH-M50: Coiled or straight cable?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello everyone

I'm getting some M50s pretty soon hopefully, as my old AKG's crapped out once again from old age (the damn cable)=.

Problem I have with the AKGs all the time is that the cable's very thin and the connector's 1/8'', so it breaks constantly and I have to take them to repairing very often. After the second or third time it becomes an annoyance, so I'm thinking of getting 2 sets of headphones (any suggestions for a second pair in the $99 range?)

I'm pretty much set on the M50s except for the fact that the connector seems to be also 1/8'' :( I'm also thinking of going with the coiled option, since the constant twisting of a straight cable is app the reason the connection ends up shorting out (to mono, a 'compromised' stereo or just complete silence)

I would appreciate any advice or suggestion on the matter- I want to get cans that can last in top shape for very long this time around

THanks

I like the s more. I have a M50s and the cable can take severe beating. The connector is a "combo-jack", it´s 1/4 but you can unscrew it and it has 1/8 inside, you can see it on the pic below:
image_preview

My problem with coiled cord is that it feels heavy while hanging, and makes the phone unconfortable.

So I guess it's the quality then? Because the AKGs I have also come with a straight 1/8'' cable and a 'combo-jack'

I was thinking about the coiled cable= added weight but with +endurance, maybe?

From the looks of them I'm pretty confident that they will be absolute crap. Might be handy to have kicking around though if one day you need a bunch of extra headphones.

You can get a pair at Guitar Center with a price match for like $80. Let me know if you need me to dig up the online store for the price match (or you can just do google search, that's what I did).

Wow thank you so much for your offer Kita. I will try your suggestion (albeit my experience w GC is NOT the best)

thanks much

You can get a pair at Guitar Center with a price match for like $80. Let me know if you need me to dig up the online store for the price match (or you can just do google search, that's what I did).

Shit, i wish i would have known this. Just bought some for $120.
and straight cable FTW