ATM250 or PRO25AX

U

unclefu

Hi everyone,

I have the chance to choose from two microphones, both I heard to be good for bass drum: Audio-Technica ATM250 and PRO25AX. Could anyone give me advice on which one should I get, and why? I'm new to the forum, to bass drums as well, I only know Audix D6, AKG D112, Shure beta 52a, from which I would prefer a sound like the Audix D6. Which one would be a better choice for that?

Thanks

Neither of those mic's are going to sound as scooped and clicky as the D6. For a ready to go metal kick you'd be better off with something like a Audix D6, Sennheiser E602/E902 (602 is more of a rock kick mic, can still do metal though) Shure B91A or B52A, hell even the PG52 isn't bad.

I only have the option to choose from those two, I have a gift card strictly for Audio-technica products.

Ah fair enough.
The pro 25 looks slightly more scooped, though the 250 has a bit more going on above 10kHz and is a bit more flat in the high frequencies (the pro 25 has some pretty big peaks and troughs)

I'd probably go for the ATM250, mainly as it will have a better resale value if you decided you didn't like it. Looks like they'll both be pretty good mic's and will just need a bit more eq than other kick mic's.

I like the at250 for guitars A LOT!
tried it on bassdrum and hated it for that, IMO the 250 sounds really really bad for kickdrum...kinda like slapping a cardboard box with a dead squirrel

well, I just put it in front of the guitar cab ;)

I feel you sometimes have to cut a bit of low mid woolyness with the 250, but it rewards you with a very smooth and wide sound..
check Accept's latest album for a good 250 sound

Lasse:

I see there are different versions. The dual element called the ATM250DE which I think is the one you have, right?

I only have the regular ATM250. Do you rely on both outputs? Could always pair it with some condenser.