Audio Aspirations

BL1NDSIDE-J

Dec 19, 2010
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and have noticed that the people here seem knowledgeable and helpful with learning about Audio Engineering, unlike alot of other sites packed full of kids who really don't know shit about the subject. I have only recently began to take interest in the subject which I guess was inevitable considering my insatiable love for and desire to create music. While I consider myself a decent musician I have very little actual engineering knowledge and have decided to take the plunge and learn! This is where you come in! I have read the stickies and decided to consult you guys for advice about where to begin. I'm up for info about anything including sites and books that are considered "standard" and everything else including gear and standard industry practices. Thanks in advance.

Your probably going to get more help if you ask more specific question. I don't even know what gear to recommend because I have no idea what you intend to try and do with it, see what I mean? I would also argue that there aren't really "industry standard practices" there are very few things that everyone does the same, every studio has an engineer at the helm and no engineer is the same.

Okay well for starters, I would like to read up so if you know any books that are really useful that would be great. I plan to record using reaper since it is free. I am currently reading it's huge manual. I would like to stay completely in the box, because it seems more cost effective, unless it hampers quality in some way.

Reaper's a good start, although it isn't free. There is a license you must purchase, but don't let that negate you.

I was in your shoes not too long ago. But really, there are no books to tell you anything in particular about what you want to record and how to record it. You're better off learning as much as you can from this forum.

Reddog I will try to learn as much here as possible, but I do not want to be a the guy that is constantly pestering you. :)
professorlamp and tim thanks for the recs I'll check them out.

OK, books you should buy

Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science (Book) [Paperback]
Bob Katz (Author)

Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools [Paperback]
Roey Izhaki (Author)

The Art of Mixing: A Visual Guide to Recording, Engineering, and Production (Artistpro) [Paperback]
David Gibson (Author)
(this has also a dvd , amazing to understand all things about mixing)

As far as gear, how many inputs do you need, what are your price options.

Are you a guitarist, bassist, singer, drummer.

Along with the books i'd suggest getting a small interface and a decent pair of monitors to start off with. If you don't have that stuff already.

I have absolutely no gear, I personally play guitar, and my friend plays drums so I need to be able to record a drum set atleast. I made a post called "hardware?" that outlines what I am thinking about buying, after alot of reading on the net.

Thanks, I'll try not to make you pull your hair out haha.

There is nothing you can ask that will make me pull my hair out after the crap I put myself through. I play sudoku, metal, and visit the sneap forum regularly.

I repeat: there is nothing you can ask that will make me pull my hair out after the crap I put myself through.

best n00b ever??

haha doubtful, thanks though.

There is nothing you can ask that will make me pull my hair out after the crap I put myself through. I play sudoku, metal, and visit the sneap forum regularly.

I repeat: there is nothing you can ask that will make me pull my hair out after the crap I put myself through.

Thanks man I'll keep it mind, I'm sure you will hear from me as soon as I get into trouble :)

haha doubtful, thanks though.

top 5 percentile, for sure

it's refreshing to see a new member here who's open-minded and willing to read/learn shit on their own...most new posters around here are either in it for some sort of presets, or come over from another recording forum with a god complex of some sort

truth be told, this spot has some of the most talented metal engineers in the world posting regularly...and many of the people who come around here on a regular basis have been pushing the boundaries of production and music technology for at least the 4 or 5 years that i've been around

top 5 percentile, for sure

it's refreshing to see a new member here who's open-minded and willing to read/learn shit on their own...most new posters around here are either in it for some sort of presets, or come over from another recording forum with a god complex of some sort

truth be told, this spot has some of the most talented metal engineers in the world posting regularly...and many of the people who come around here on a regular basis have been pushing the boundaries of production and music technology for at least the 4 or 5 years that i've been around

I could tell the people here knew what they where talking about which is the whole reason, I joined in the first place. I definately want to learn and I love metal so I figured I could do it here. I'm glad you said that about the engineers here because it makes me feel better about trusting advice given.