Audio Technica AE2500 for Guitars?

AHChris

Jun 23, 2009
Bavaria
Hey Guys!

We played with Hatebreed last week and I noticed that they miced the guitar cabs (1960s) with Audio Technica AE2500s (which are kickdrum mics with a condenser and a dynamic capsule). Sound was pretty cool so I wanted to ask if anyone tried those on a guitar cab under studio conditions...

Greetings Chris

I bought 2 of them last year and have used them ever since. The dynamic sounds a lot like a 57 but without the fizz, the condenser has some more air and some nice body, and the great thing is that they line up 100% in fase.

edit: I used them on the last 2 Earth Crisis tours too so them seem to be doing well on hardcore guitar tones

They've a great rep as a live guitar mic. Heard the Black Dahlia Murder use em at all their gigs. Only downside is their expense and obviously you need 2 channels for each guitar

When I toured as FOH for Cannibal Corpse they said their old FOH guy used them on both guitars. I didn't have any at my disposal unfortunately so was unable to try them out.

However, in the studio I have used one on kick and also on bass. This was years ago and I don't remember how it went on bass but remember being very impressed with the sound I was getting on for kick.