Automation for solos? Or other tricks

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys ,

Just wondering what the majority here do for metal when it comes to solos. If I use no automation , the solo will seem like the loudest part of the song , and then when it's over , the song will sound weaker. Of course you can automate the volume for these parts , but is there a better / easier way to do this? Or do you guys not do anything and just wait till the mastering process compression etc to make it sound more even? On all commercial metal records the solos blend perfectly in and out with no change in volume.

i'm quite certain they do. there are a million different ways to do any one thing in this crazy audio engineering world of ours, bro =D

but, for me, automation is the easiest, most hassle-free way, other than just pulling the volume of the audio event down, depending on your daw....

I can think maybe Ducking? I would just automate volume levels for what needs to come down, and not try to boost the solo volumes. Automation in reaper is a cinch.

If it's with quad tracked rhythms, like my own band's stuff, I'll pull two tracks out when the solo kicks in, so I only have the two "outer" tracks running (the 100% L/R ones), which lets the mix breathe a lot more and helps bring the leads out. Then if there are dual leads, like harmonies or whatever, I'll automate the main lead to come down a few db when the other lead comes in, or automate the panning so they're just off centre

If it's with quad tracked rhythms, like my own band's stuff, I'll pull two tracks out when the solo kicks in, so I only have the two "outer" tracks running (the 100% L/R ones), which lets the mix breathe a lot more and helps bring the leads out. Then if there are dual leads, like harmonies or whatever, I'll automate the main lead to come down a few db when the other lead comes in, or automate the panning so they're just off centre

+1 That's right about how I do it

For me, it's a big no no when it comes to side-chaining. I just automate. In rare cases I'd activate a compressor whenever the solo section comes in. So there you go - Pull the rhythm down by a few db's and squash it with a compressor. That way the rhythm stays a little consistent than usual underneath the solo.

For what it is worth, I recorded a full length with Zuess at Planet Z and he obsessively automated the solos. I think that's the way to go, even though I didn't really like the way the record turned out...haha.

Cool thanks guys ! I was usuing a limiter too , because otherwise high notes were too ear piercing... automation seems the way to go !