Avantasia

SiliconMessiah

Brilliant Bastards!!
Feb 20, 2002
Harrow, London
chris.j.mash.googlepages.com
Just curious as to whether anyone here is a fan of Tobias Sammet (Edguy)'s Avantasia project, the Metal Opera?

I first heard about Edguy when they replaced Hammerfall at Bloodstock 03 (which incidentally was when i checked out Power Quest, before the festival to see if they'd be worth watching, and they were :D ). I only caught the very end of Edguy's set and i wasn't impressed by them at all. Didn't like Tobias' German vocals :oops:

But my mate loved them and over the following months he hammered on about them and eventually sent me a live version of Out of Control, which i thought was pretty good. He then sent me Holy Water and i literally creamed myself at the chorus. Amazing song.

Anyway after getting more into Edguy he told me of Avantasia and i listened to it but wasn't impressed. It just seemed like pretty boring power metal to be honest.

A while later i decided to give it another go and i fell in love with it this time round. It's now my favourite music and i can just listen to it over and over and not get bored of it!

If you like power metal, which i would suspect you all do around here.... :p and you havn't heard any Avantasia then check out the songs Avantasia and Challice of Agony, i'd say they're my favourite ones. They have lots of power metal heavy weights involved, members of Helloween, Virgin Steele, Angra etc.

Also, check out Aina aswell. That's another Metal Opera, more Operay than Avantasia, which is basically just damned good Power Metal really... It has Michael Kiske in it and also Tobias Sammet on two songs. Silver Maiden and Flight of Torek are brilliant songs :D

Anyway i feel i've rambled on for long enough and i've probably lost you all somewhere along the way :p

Damned cool! It's a shame that i think Tobias said right away that they'd never tour with it as it's too much to arrange, what with a stage show to produce (that would HAVE to be done) and then everyone's own personal time tables to work around...

Although he did say at one point that he'd do Avantasia pt. 3 when Helloween released Keep of the Seven Keys 3... Which apparently is being done..... But then he was probably only joking at the time!

Avantasia is quite possibly the best project of any band member ever!!

Tobias is a genius for writing that. The odd thing is I'd not heard of it before I saw Part 2 in my local Hellraiser. I asked them to play it and I thought, 'yeah it's okay...I might as well buy it'.....once I got it home that was it.....on hearing the amazing 'The Seven Angels' I was hooked. That song is a masterwork!!

Both albums are great and I just wish Tobias would work on this project again!! Seems unlikely but we can hope :D

I don't know why but I like Edguy more than Avantasia.

Edguy.jpg