AVATAR Visits SiriusXM Studios, Performs Song Containing Sexually Explicit Lyrics

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
During a recent in-studio appearance on the Octane channel on SiriusXM satellite radio, Swedish metallers AVATAR played an acoustic set that included a song containing sexually explicit lyrics sung in the band's native tongue. The track "Den runkande spårvagschauffören" (English-language translation: "The Masturbating Tram Driver") was originally written and recorded by Eddie Meduza (real name Errol Leonard Norstedt), a Swedish composer and musician, who is known penning songs about alcohol, women, and cars, quite often with obscene lyrics. The first four paragraphs of "Den runkande spårvagschauffören" (translated from Swedish) are as follows: "I know a masturbating tram driver In the heart of Gothenburg He jerks his c**k while he drives his tram on the streets "He steers his tram with accuracy with the c**k in a secure grip He jerks off and the tram sways in pace as a rocking ship "He has been driving his tram since thirty-three because of the monotony, he became ill Then he got a truly fantastic idea He began to jerk off his c**k "Now the rumor travels quickly on wings around town that the cure for melancholy is to ride the tram three times a day and engage in masturbation." You can watch video footage of AVATAR's performance below. AVATAR is currently touring the U.S. in support of its new concept album titled "Feathers & Flesh", which was released onMay 13 via Another Century in Europe and Entertainment One (eOne) in North America and Canada. AVATAR frontman Johannes Eckerström told AXS that the idea of creating a concept album came first and then the journey to find the proper concept became the first leg of that process. "There was a period of figuring out what would be our story to tell," he said. "I first started with, you know, I'm a clown, and it's horror, and it could be a haunted theme park, and then I fell asleep from my own thoughts because it felt so cliché, boring, lame, stupid. So I moved on and then it was a Swedish novel series, 'The Emigrants' series, and I thought there's some stuff in here that could be turned into something, then I realized that Björn and Benny from ABBA did a musical about it in the '90s, so that one was taken. [Laughs] So I reached the conclusion it needed to be something where we had the same ambition as we do with the music — to do something fresh and original. So I started to soul search for an original story and that led me to researching the concept of fables."

Continue reading...