Awesome songs written out of grief

Ktulu

Jul 15, 2003
Sydney, 'Straya
Visit site
I've found that some of the most powerful songs I've heard are when bands honour a friend of theirs that has died by writing a song for them.

Examples include:

Watching Over Me -by- Iced Earth
Angel's Son -by- Sevendust

Anyone have any similar types of tracks they'd like to recommend?

"Red To Grey" by Fear Of God

In an interview in issue no. 51 of the German metal magazine Rock Hard, vocalist Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) told the following story which happened when she lived together with her mother and her stepfather at a U.S. military base on the Philippines:

"Beth, as she called herself, stemmed from the country and came into the town when she was barely 10, because she had lost both her parents and there was no-one who cared for her. In order to survive she started hooking. We became friends and on Sundays she sometimes came to us to the military base to have a meal with us. One day we went to the beach together and I noticed that she was much more quiet than usual. As it then turned out, a US aircraft-carrier had arrived the night before, which meant a boom for all prostitutes, and one of these seamen burned Beth's entire back with a curling iron. I sat there unsuspectingly at the beach and Beth waded into the water right in front of me and drowned herself in the lagoon. I wrote the lyrics of "Red To Grey" on that very evening. The fitting music wasn't written until 10 years later."

Nah I dont think that Sevendust song to that Snot vocalist was that great.

"Pantera - Hollow" comes to mind. Really sad song about Anselmo's best friend getting amnesia or some kind of memory loss.