Axe FX Ultra vs II

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
any opinions?

I'm thinking about buying an AFX for live use....but even used the Ultra is almost as expensive as the Kemper, the II is much more expensive....
how "good" is the Ultra compared to the AFX2 ?

Planning to use the amp models? The 2 slays it soundwise but also dynamically if so. Most real feeling sim i've come accross yet. Probably not what you want to hear haha. No doubt you could get by just fine with an ultra. You could always buy an ultra and work up to a II if you get on with it ok. Defnitely bypass G66 waiting lists and get it sent straight from a US buddy though,

II is definitely a step up modelling wise, and usability wise. Interface is improved and the FX menu is even more comprehensive. Ultra is still better than anything else out there though IMO! Depends if you really want the top of the line or not.

Well I'm more impressed with the high gain tones of the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra than the "out-of-control-low-end" Axe-II.

The cleans on the II sound unreal though...

I´d say...just wait for the Kemper ( rack version i mean..). Srsly..u got all that amazing stuff in your Studio, so utilize it for live usage! There´s no earforce model in da AFX .....

Buy the axe 2 , if you don't like it (which I doubt) you will get your money back quickly via resale . Kemper looks fun but a totally different tool IMO . Effects on axe 2 are great , cleans also . High gain stuff starting to really come together now as well . Add a foot controller and all your live needs will be done .

There´s no earforce model in da AFX .....

best argument of all time :D

Seriously: I would buy the kemper and profile everything you have. who has the opportunities to profile a mesa stilleto in a good treated room with a mesa rectifier, 5150, krankenstein etc. i think no axefx will give you that...

Dude as someone with all the amps that you have and a very picky ear for tone, I honestly don't think you'll be happy with the axe. If anything get the Kemper.

Just so you guys know, Cliff confirmed yesterday on the Fractal forum that the Axe-FX II will soon have an update to do its own amp profiling ala the Kemper. The Axe-FX II can already "profile" IRs.

FWIW, the Kemper is basically just a match EQ in a box.

If you're anything like me, monitoring guitars through monitors or earpieces is a pain in the ass. It sounds horrible too (ymmv) ... so you'd want a cab and power amp. Before you know it, you've spent 4K on the setup...

For live, I'd just stick with a single amp, to be honest. If it aint broke... don't fix it...

We're all chasing this dream of having top notch valve tone from a off the shelf DSP solution, and we all want those great amp tones starting from the 1950's going up to present day... and we're close... but in my opinion, you still need a lot of shit for the Axe-FX (and probably Kemper) to sound good live...

The best Axe tones I've heard were with a VHT valve poweramp and a Marshall cab. All the direct tones I've heard sound no better than a Pod.

Just my opinion mind you.

yea man i dont think youd need an ultra.. i have it and im pretty sure you can get a solid tone without it. It doesnt sound as good as an amp and im sure you already know that, yet it still kick ass and i think it would be cool for live.

now this vs the II i couldnt say because i dont own the II but of course the advantage with the latter is that its still new and there will be updates that might change its sound/character in the futur. Also now there are plans for profiling with the II so that would be interesting..

Personnally if i were you id wait a bit till the II can profile and if it is the same qulity of the kemper or less i would just get the kemper.

Why? because you are the perfect guy for profiling. You have plenty of good sounding amps, a studio so iow good sounding rooms and most importantly you know how to capture them.

Profiling plus maybe a bit of eq is the way for you IMHO

That's interesting about the Axe-FX II getting profiling... I haven't had a chance to put mine up on ebay yet. I may have to check that out before getting rid of it.