Axe FX vs Amplitube vs Revalver vs TH3 vs Pod Farm vs 8505 vs Guitar Rig vs Helix: 5150 edition

guitarjon

May 16, 2010
Hey guys,

With all the 'vs' and modeler battle demos going on I thought it would be cool to do a few SDS style.
We're comparing 8 different amp modelers in a full band context, just as you would use/hear them in real life.
All of the amp modelers are running through the exact same OwnHammer 4x12 EVH IR.
All of the plugins without IR loaders go through NadIR (with the internal cabs disabled).

This episode focuses on the legendary Peavey 5150 amp.

The modelers in this video include:

Fractal Audio Axe FX
Overloud TH3
Peavey Revalver 4
IK Multimedia Amplitube 4
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
Line 6 Pod Farm 2
Nick Crow 8505
Line 6 Helix Floor

Many people have made me aware already that I should have also done TSE X50.
Unfortunately I don't own that one yet but I'll definitely check it out soon.

This episode focuses on the legendary Peavey 5150 amp.

I'd love to hear your thoughts guys!

Reactions: Vasyl Mishchenko
Was expecting stuff to be a lot different from one sim to another. I guess there are so many sims of the 5150 by now that they start to be quite precise in their modeling.

Least favorite probably Pod Farm and Guitar Rig.

Best sound is difficult to decide, since some of them sound similar. But if I pitch in the price as a factor, TH3 Overloud wins, with the 8505 from Nick Crow being a close second (the 8505 doesn't sound as good, but it's free, so it's tough to overlook that).

Reactions: guitarjon
Nice comparison. I feel that high gain models are easier to replicate because of decreased dynamic range. Throw up a comparison of those modelers using a mid-gain amp with the same IR and I guarantee you that the differences will be easily spotted. IHMO, that's all modelers' weak spot: edge of break up and medium gain. Can't beat the real deal in that department no matter what IR you use.

Was expecting stuff to be a lot different from one sim to another. I guess there are so many sims of the 5150 by now that they start to be quite precise in their modeling.

Least favorite probably Pod Farm and Guitar Rig.

Best sound is difficult to decide, since some of them sound similar. But if I pitch in the price as a factor, TH3 Overloud wins, with the 8505 from Nick Crow being a close second (the 8505 doesn't sound as good, but it's free, so it's tough to overlook that).

Thanks for chiming in!

Nice comparison. I feel that high gain models are easier to replicate because of decreased dynamic range. Throw up a comparison of those modelers using a mid-gain amp with the same IR and I guarantee you that the differences will be easily spotted. IHMO, that's all modelers' weak spot: edge of break up and medium gain. Can't beat the real deal in that department no matter what IR you use.

Good point!
I'm definitely planning on doing more mid gain type comparisons in the future.
I'll have to do a JCM800 or Plexi for sure...

Reactions: Delitzsch
Good point!
I'm definitely planning on doing more mid gain type comparisons in the future.
I'll have to do a JCM800 or Plexi for sure...
Sounds good, man. I look forward to it. Your videos are always interesting and great quality.