Bad DI

Krenzathal

Sep 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi folks, I'm sure lots of you guys offer a re-amping service and it's great if you have recorded the guitars yourself and everyone follows the rules but what if a client (who lives far away) sends you DI guitar tracks that were recorded under less than satisfactory conditions I.E. a standard inexpensive guitar with stock pickups and 3 month old strings recorded through a par DI Box?

I've been sent a few tracks like this and as my 6505 lives at a rehearsal studio and I only live in a small flat with my lovely girlfriend so I'd like to use amp sims to do the re-amping but how do you go about compensating for such dull DI's should the situation ever arise where all you have are amp sims and impulses?

I admit I'm nowhere near people like the mighty Erik Monosonis who could re-amp a fart and make it sound like a million dollar production but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting a good tone out of anything except the amazing acmebargigs C-15 sim and a few shots at the sneap edge and recabinet impulses but even then it's not ideal.

Thanks all, any info will help!

Hi folks, I'm sure lots of you guys offer a re-amping service and it's great if you have recorded the guitars yourself and everyone follows the rules but what if a client (who lives far away) sends you DI guitar tracks that were recorded under less than satisfactory conditions I.E. a standard inexpensive guitar with stock pickups and 3 month old strings recorded through a par DI Box?

I've been sent a few tracks like this and as my 6505 lives at a rehearsal studio and I only live in a small flat with my lovely girlfriend so I'd like to use amp sims to do the re-amping but how do you go about compensating for such dull DI's should the situation ever arise where all you have are amp sims and impulses?

I admit I'm nowhere near people like the mighty Erik Monosonis who could re-amp a fart and make it sound like a million dollar production but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting a good tone out of anything except the amazing acmebargigs C-15 sim and a few shots at the sneap edge and recabinet impulses but even then it's not ideal.

Thanks all, any info will help!

I don't suppose you could tell the client you can't polish a turd and expect it to not smell like shit? Least they could have done was change the strings on the guitar...

Yeah I briefed the guy on what to do before he recorded the stuff down for me and even tried emailing him afterwards to convince him to borrow a decent guitar with good pickups to re-record but I get the standard "It sounded ok to me!" and "we're on a budget you know!"

It's amazing how cheap some bands are when it comes to their recordings and how offended they are when you think their gear isn't good enough. (not to mention how mad they get when in the end it doesn't sound like a carbon copy of Pantera)

Looks like I'll just have to do the best I can and hope his sense of hearing is as bad as his common sense.

Cheers folks!