Balls-to-the-wall rock from Russia that I mixed (live drums)

anotherpaul

Sep 17, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Did vocal recording (I even sang all harmonies), reamping and mixing for these guys:

Live drums. Kick was replaced with SSD4 + some one shot from this forum + original subkick recording. Snare was augmented with SSD4 + one shot from this forum as well. Don't be afraid of russian lyrics:D and try to guess what was used on guitars!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn . . . that sounds fantastic. I can't really pinpoint the tone . . . Used to be really good at it, but not so much anymore. A Laney maybe? It's kinda got that twangy gain.

Thanks, people!
@Nicolas, yeah, we went for the radio-rock-ish vibe with a very vocal-heavy mix.

@alphabeta, xXxMetalJunkiexXx
To tell you the truth, it was shitloads of surgucal EQ on both bass and kick!

On kick most of the low end comes from SSD kick sample, but it's heavily EQed in the 100-300hz range to fit the bass guitar.
Bass was a great Fender JB played by a guitar player (!). No sidechain compression on bass - I think that helped the vibe a bit. Bass had just two tracks - lowpassed DI for low end and hipassed DI ran through some tube preamp with fast compression for the actual tone and clank. Some EQ on individual tracks and then 6 instances of EQ on the bass group sprinkled with 3 different compressors: really fast and clean ReaComp, slow VoS ThrillseekerLA and ReaXcomp with just the subbass range engaged.

I basically used tips from Ermz's "Systematic Mixing Guide" and I really recommend it to anyone struggling with a heavy rock and metal mixes.

These guys have made another music video for a song of the same album, produced by me.
Now featuring a red flag and a husky!

Last edited by a moderator: