Bands for grown-ups, bands for kids

hyena

counterclockwise
Apr 13, 2002
-
I've been having random thoughts about bands all day, centered along the idea that Faith No More are one of the most adult bands we will ever have in history. I do not mean that their lyrics are about sex, but rather that their lyrics enhance their appeal once you're not a teenager anymore: they discuss matters and themes that are clearly more understandable to people with a few years of life under their belt. On the other hand, I was thinking of Good Riddance as a comparison term - while I love them and their message, it's set in such stark black and whites that it's forcibly more appealing to people who like a black-and-white mindset, ie younger listeners.

Some bands hold a perennial appeal, say DT and Iron Maiden; I wouldn't be sure about Bad Religion, who surely resonated more when I was a teen than now. I wouldn't be sure about Skyclad, probably a strong case of style over substance, or about Therapy?, probably a strong case of tapping into deviance no matter your age. But I would certainly put VNV Nation in the "adult bands" folder, lyrics-wise, and I would probably do the same for Against Me!, while AFI are kid stuff, as much as I love them.

Of course some bands are obviously kiddish, for example: blink 182 (haha).

I always put music first, to me lyrics are not as important as the way a song sounds.

So, I can perfectly picture myself at 50 listening to "kill your parents, then kill yourself" music (to name a silly example), as long as it is musically pleasing to me.

I wouldn't want my kids to listen to Cock and Ball Torture... but they pretty much would have to.

I always considered Vader a band children would love. I mean, who couldn't dance to "FIELD OF HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!11" and bop to "DECAPITATED SAINTS!!!!!", and let's not forget our favorite "EPITAPH OPEN PARENTHESIS FOR HUMANITY CLOSE PARENTHESIS!!!!!!!"

Also, you may want to consider Bolt Thrower.

Haha, well, actually when my two female cousins were young and un-polluted by the mainstream society (say 5 years old), they liked my music. Now they're rabid RBD fans who constantly ask if I'm a goth - to which I always answer positively, and often add phrases such as "and I also bite bats' heads off for the sake of it in my spare time" just for the fun of it.

New Model Army are perhaps the most mature band I've stumbled across, lyrics- and style-wise. In fact, I think that the only two bands who expressed themselves with clarity of vision about subjects other than poetry/philosophy/psychology are Bad Religion and New Model Army. Skyclad, like hyena pointed out, are more about the style of the expression. Bands like Faith No More and Therapy? rely a lot on the shock value of their lyrics, while DT are not really about getting a message through.

Funeral are probably the most adult band I've heard. They play epic doom with chuggy sections kind of like My dying bride but more guitar driven and the lyrics are about everyday things... No grandiose grim metaphors or ambiguity. Just lyrics about liver failure or seeing an ex-girlfreind with another man. The vocals are presented in a soft almost choral male voice... being the only soothing element to the music while the lyrics really strike to the core.

And a band I sometimes think are a bit childish (but are still amazing) is Envy from Japan. They basically play the most epic screamo/post hardcore ever. The only problem is the lyrics are complete code... just random strings of flowery words with very little meaning between each... And the song structures show immaturity as each song is literally a quiet buildup to a huge heavy section, then a refrain with a build up then a really epic heavy section etc. For an example listen to one of their best songs... the third track from insomniac doze entitled 'Scene'

Im not always looking for spiritual enlightenment or philosophical depth in the lyrics of my music, so Im not sure how one can categorise music like that.
When I feel like listening to shallow music, just because I like the melody or the distraction it provides, how is it not grown-up music anymore? Music should first of all entertain, no? :err:

Bad Religion sure have a message, but how is their message "adult"?

To me it sounds like a sort-of-naive idealism, a form of rebellion suitable for a teenager.

I think this leads to another question: Are you gay from the moment you're born, or do you turn gay?

A good question. For another thread.

On topic, the reason I stated Katatonia as an adult band earlier, is mostly due to the character of their lyrics. They do deal with emotional topics, as many bands do, especially revolving around relationships and trust, but I always like the feeling that there is no whining behind the lines about longing and such. It always feels to me that it's something more like either the rhetorical, and often insightful, questioning you ask yourself about relationship issues while you drink yourself stupid, or acceptance of the facts and the ensuing depression.

They're not a happy band by any stretch, and lyrically they span different levels of maturity from song to song, but it's the feeling behind the lyrics that strikes me as a much more experienced voice.

~kov.

Interesting thread...
Kiddie bands: Fall Out Boy, My Chem.Romance,Offspring,System of A Down, Slipknot,Korn,SKA music and all Pop Punk

Grown Up bands(now this is little harder)
definitely Katatonia,Porcupine Tree, Joe Satriani and most virtuosos, Devin Townsend Band, King Crimson, Blackfield,Down,Allman Brothers

For me the most mature bands Ive listened to are Iron Maiden, Faith No More and Pantera. Iron Maiden have proven this especially on their last three albums, which I consider as the best heavy metal records ever made. Faith No More dont need any further comments, King For A Day... is a festival of maturity. Some might say that Pantera was far from being a mature band, but Id disagree. Anselmos lyrics addressed many different topics in many different ways/styles, the music was excellent. Far Beyond Driven is also a feast for me.

As for bands for kids, I dont think hyena had in mind bands like Fall Out Boy, but rather the bands one listens to in teen age (good bands mind you), which lose their attractiveness once the person grows up. I think The Offspring is such a band for me. I liked them a lot, and still think their first 4 albums are very good, but I havent listened to them for ages.

The Offspring, definitely. All fun ended with Americana... or that was me who grew up :)

Good times...