Bands like: Animals as Leaders

Nov 5, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know of any bands that sound similar to progressive instrumental band Animals as Leaders? I heard about this band last year and have since overplayed it (there's only one album) but I love Tosin Abasi's style and would like to hear more of this style of music.

Here's what they sound like in case you haven't heard:

What I currently have that sounds like Animals as Leaders:
Blotted Science
Scale the Summit

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Within metal I haven't heard anybody else in the same realm... maybe some of the tech-death bands come the closest. I'd say check out some jazz guitarists, though I don't have any recommendations.

Most of the Djent stuff is kind of similar, I think they're all on the same album too :lol:

some of the instrumental stuff like Blotted Science/Ron jarzombeck projects..tesseract, periphery etc.

jazz is nowhere near like this. maybe it's reminiscent of stanley jordan-esque tapping but besides that....no

Yeah I currently have Blotted Science and Scale the Summit which are both also close to what I'm looking for. I guess I will include that information in the OP.

Maybe try something from the band Aghora. The song "1316" off the album Formless sure sounds similar to "Inamorata" by Animals as Leaders. Of course, Aghora isn't instrumental if that's a problem lol.

you might look up antoine dufour...specifically the song, "to run in a dream" but hes the closest thing to tosin i can find, and hes an acoustic guitarist on his own...i know what u mean about tosin though...Animals as Leaders is very rich in musical texture for my ears...good luck!

The other day someone was telling me Obscura was similar to Animals as Leaders. Haven't checked out any of Obscuras stuff though so i don't know. All i know is that they are progressive tech death

Thanks for the extra responses ^^
Forgot about this thread until today. Going to check out these bands you guys are reccing (I have Obscura's stuff, and Cloudkicker too; both are good imo)
TesseracT and Cloudkicker are both very similar to AAL (both are djent bands)

Thanks again, guys