bands like opeth

This is actually one type of thread that I don't mind seeing repeated hundreds of times. :).

There are sure to be an enormous pile of replies to this post, but I'll start:

DAYLIGHT DIES / check out @ www.mp3.com/daylightdies & www.daylight-dies.com (OK, it's my band and those mp3s are only from a 2 year old demo, but we have a full length coming very soon..)

SATURNUS / 'Paradise Belongs to You' / 'For the Loveless Lonely Nights' & 'Martyr'. _EXTREMELY_ under-rated band, slow dark and romantic doom-metal.

RAPTURE / 'Futile' (very similar to Katatonia Brave Murder Day )

ENTWINE / 'Gone'. Extremely catchy metal with an edge, similar to Sentenced, great clean vocalist.

SENTENCED / Anyone will do, but especially 'Amok' & 'Down'. Great catchy 'suicide-drunk' metal, haha.

ANATHEMA / All... could go on too long about different styles, but perhaps pick up 'Alternative 4', 'Judgement' first if you want clean vocals, or 'The Silent Enigma' if your in the mood for more doom/death related stuff. All is excellent.

oh.. and EVERGREY -- which I can't believe I've not seen posted more about in this forum. EXTREMELY good progressive/melodic metal with a great clean/rhaspy vocalist. Their new one 'In Search of Truth' is out soon, and I've got a copy.. it's going to blow Opeth fans away I believe.. (nothing like Opeth, but it's got technicality for those who want that, it's got perfect musicianship for those who want that, it's got amazing vocals for those who want that, it's got fantastic songwriting and great melodies too). Not a real 'downer' album, but a real fun kick-ass one at least.

I could go on forever, there are endless bands. Just remember there are also tons of clones that suck, so keep your standards high.. there are enough excellent bands out there that there is no need to waste time with the watered-down ones..

I second the Agalloch, and I'm also a fan of Evergrey and I've heard many great thing about the new one. My recommendation would be Maudlin Of The Well, but because they are such a difficult band to write about (very innovative, exotic, and surreal) that I'll have to borrow from another page, Lords Of Metal:

So, it’s time for another surprise. Just when you thought that you have everything heard what can be heard in the groundbreaking and supreme music of Tool, Opeth and Rakoth, well, let me introduce to you: Maudlin Of The Well. Watchtower-breaks, gothic-like Opeth meets My Dying Bride/(early) Anathema-atmosphere with acoustic guitars, grunts and clean vocals (both sexes), long escapistic psychedelic soundscapes, exploding death-metal eruptions, almost jazzy- or otherwise more folky-orientated instruments (besides the standard instruments I hear also clarinet, cello, viola, violins, hammond organ, piano, percussion, yeah, I even heard something like a harp passing by…just after some piece of furious deathmetal anger!) Innovative, very innovative, and yet: so beautiful pleasant. Yes, it’s remarkable impressive, this 9-piece American company. After some forced listening I can only say in a slight critical matter of speaking that the clean male vocals are not always really pure (like in Bizarre Flowers/A Violent Mist’ en ‘Heaven And Weak’), but for the rest I can only bow my head, with deep gratitude for this wonderful musical journey. It’s so useless to review this kind of music: you have to experience it, let it take control over you, let the music swallow you. 2 Become 1 with the music. I almost got spiritual now with this music. Brrrrrrrr………!!!!!!