Bands that abandoned and then returned to death growls

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hi guys!

I was just listening to the new Amorphis today and remembered how good they were circa Elegy. Mind you, I also like their all-clean-vocals period, but it's certainly good to seem them revisiting their past hallmarks.

So could everyone list the bands that used to have death/black vocals that abandoned them only to return to their "roots"? I'm talking about bands like Tiamat, Moonspell and Amorphis.

For example, did Rotting Christ or Samael ever re-use their older-style vocals on recent albums?

Cheers!

Besides the ones you've already mentioned, I can only think of My Dying Bride at this moment in time. Though, technically, you could say Opeth falls under this as they abandoned the growls for Damnation.

tiamat, moonspell and amorphis each recorded their best albums (a deeper kind of slumber, sin/pecado and tounela respectively) about ten years ago with very little or no growls.

What does In Requiem by Paradise Lost sound like? The last PL album I heard was Host and I sort of gave up on them. Where does Host sit in their discography anyway?

What album of RC features all clean vocals and when did they adopt harsh singing again?

Here's the list so far:

Amorphis
Tiamat
My Dying Bride
Moonspell

What about Samael by the way?

Rotting Christ never used clean vocals throughout their career.Some of their tracks feature whispers or deep baritone vocals,that's it.

batmura,PL is few steps beyond from Host now,their post-Host era showed us their metal roots' resurfacing from record to record.In Requiem is the most closest record to pre-One Second era.It is heavy and melodic.There are some moments which Nick Holmes sings in semi-brutal/deep baritone style.I can say that In Requiem is a brief of their discography except Lost Paradise.

Host is still the most different release of their career and I don't think they will ever release that kind of record again.It was a big risk.I love that album either,it has its moments.If you are yet to listen In Requiem,I can suggest it.It is worth listening.

I think we cannot include Katatonia in this category,Jonas Renkse still does not growl on albums,screams/death vox are sung by Akerfeldt or Nyström.Nyström also said that,harsh vocals will not be the first place in the new direction of Katatonia.But they can change their mind,Jonas still growls when they play Murder live.I would like to hear him growl. :D