bands to recommend?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
im bored, so can anyone recommend any bands and a song i could download and maybe buy the album if its good enough.

i suppose i would like something like Opeth, old/new Katatonia, lacuna coil, the gathering (new).

thankyou.

Agalloch- She painted Fire across the skyline (its in tree parts, get all its 18 minutes total, but if you must choose one get the 3rd part)
Hollenthon- Fire upon the blade, To Kingdom Come

Agalloch- She painted Fire across the skyline (its in tree parts, get all its 18 minutes total, but if you must choose one get the 3rd part)
Hollenthon- Fire upon the blade, To Kingdom Come
Mithotyn- In the forest of moonlight
Extol- Structure of souls
Demons and wizards- The Whistler, Path of Glory
Acid Bath- Cassie Eats Cockroaches (mmm)
Mike Oldfield- Taurus II (20 minutes long but definately recommended)
Ulver- I Troldskog faren vild
Genesis- Dance on a Volcano, Firth of Fifth
Satyricon- Mother North
Limbonic Art- The moon in the scorpio
Summoning- Like Some Snow White Marble Eyes
Ancient Rites- Dying in a Moment of Splendour
Dream Theater- Metropolis pt I
Any Children of Bodom
Gryphon- Second Spasm, and/or Checkmate
Nokturnal Mortum- Unholy Orathania
Therion- Via Nocturna

Ok I guess thats enough, thats the band- name of song or songs if you didnt notice have fun!! hope you find them! theres a good mix in there of different styles

Nile
Amorphis (old. new sucks)
Nevermore
Ancient Ceremony
Emperor
Dark Funeral
Cradle of Filth (they're good despite what some people may say)

Neurosis. Not that they sound anything like Opeth (except that their music is dark, heavy, difficult and brilliant - just like Opeth) but they are so good. Why not check out their new album A Sun That Never Sets? One of the best records this year.

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Neurosis. Not that they sound anything like Opeth (except that their music is dark, heavy, difficult and brilliant - just like Opeth) but they are so good. Why not check out their new album A Sun That Never Sets? One of the best records this year.

Right on! Neurosis rules. When I went to Ozzfest in 1997 they played the second stage and I was completely blown away. Very intense, emotional music. My personal favorite is Through Silver in Blood, definitely one of the most crushing albums ever. Also recommended is Times of Grace, and the companion CD Grace, which you're supposed to play simulataneously for maximum effect. What an ingenious idea.

Yeah, Neurosis are awesome. And the idea with two albums to be played at the same time is so cool! I heard about some guy who bought himself a new stereo, just so that he could play these two records simulataneously. That´s what I call a die-hard fan. =) I, on the other hand, already own two stereos, so maybe I catch a copy of Grace sometime, just too see what it sounds like.

Here's a few more bands I'm sure all you Opeth fans will appreciate:

Drawn (Norway) "A New World?" Featuring In The Woods... alumni. Experimental death doom with grand songs that travel in a thousand bizarre tangents but still manage to maintain a coherent sense throughout.

Vintersorg (Sweden) "Cosmic Genesis" Use old metal (Uriah Heep, Rainbow, etc)influences in the same manner Opeth use old rock (Camel etc) influences.

The Black League (Finland) "Ichor." Featuring rock and roll god amoung men Taneli Jarva of Sentenced/Impaled Nazarene fame. \m/ :mad: \m/
Bleak Finnish death rock as only Taneli and company could deliver.

Ebony Lake (England) "On The Eve of The Grimly Inventive." Like "My Arms, Your Hearse" on acid. Weird stuff.

Forefather (England) "The Fighting Man." If you can imagine Opeth playing English folk songs you can imagine Forefather.

Green Carnation (Norway) "Journey to The End of The Night." Norwegian super group featuring members of Emperor, Carpathian Forest, In The Woods..., Tristania, (maybe more). Fantastic clean vocaled doom. A mix of In The Woods..., Autumn Tears and Oxiplegatz.

In The Woods... (Norway) "Three Times Seven On a Pilgrimage." Godly psychadelic doom act sadly disbanded.

Isengard (Norway) "Hostmorke." Fenris's black folk masterpiece. All will worship at the house of Isengard! \m/ :mad: \m/

November (Italy) "Wish I Could Dream it Again." Classy Italian death doom with clean and dirty vocal lines. Good stuff.

October Tide (Sweden) "Rain Without End." Jonas and Fredrik from Katatonia's death doom side project which is pretty much "Brave Murder Day" worship and why not?

Orphaned Land (Israel) "The Beloved's Cry." Old-school Israeli death doom in the typical "Holy Records" vein. (i.e. Fantastic!)

Paragon of Beauty (Germany) "Seraphine...Far Gone Gleam." Imagine Opeth playing tribute to the German goth scene but managing not to incorporate all the cheese and pretension. Worth a listen.

Silent Streams of Godless Elegy (Czech Republic). "Iron." Absolutely fantastic Czech death doom. I must for every fan of the genre. \m/ :mad: \m/

Storm (Norway) "Nordavind." Fenris delivers more fantastic black folk out of Norway with the help of a couple of his friends: Satyr (Satyricon) and Kari Rueslatten (Third And The Mortal).

Try this:
Moonlight
Gothic band from Poland with female vox and sad beautiful music."Meren re" is their best.

Arcturus
Ulver , I recommend "The marriage of heaven and hell", William Blake's. It is some kind of avangrde trip-hop, I think, but it's pretty good, it's done by Arcturus bandmembers.

Sirrah
Doom band from Poland also, music is hard to listen, melodies are new, not a cliche, "Will Tomorrow Come? " is best, I think.

Autumnal Discord
Band from Russia, music is incredible!(What've you expected from me I'm from Russia too!). Really. But the quality of sound is shitty...I've bought it, look for yourself.

Mental Home
Doom band from Russia, playing pretty nice european music.

Lacrimosa
If you like symphonic music, "Elodia" is for you.

Best wishes!(It's not a band!)