bands we lost track of...

DrillSergeant

Nov 14, 2003
Bavaria, Germany
Visit site
While browsing through the Exodus thread I've noticed that there are quite a few bands whose stuff I used to collect years ago but lost track of in the 90s. Testament are a good example. I have everything up to Souls Of Black but didn't like The Ritual in '92 that much and therefore lost them out of sight. Same with Over Kill and Anthrax. Turning points were the departures of Bobby Gustafson respectively Joey Belladonna from which both bands obviously coudln't recover completetly. You also may add Exodus from whom I only have their debut yet. In their case Impact Is Imminent was the reason for me to drop them. So why the hell is he boring us with this, you might ask.
Well, first I'd like to have your recommendations. For example I heard some good things about The Gathering. Is it worth picking up and can it compete with the old Testament stuff?
My second intention is to invite everybody with similar experiences to post his band(s) he lost out of sight. So...

as i've already said(and bored many i'm sure),the gathering is one of their best-certainly the best since practise-the first two tracks on the gathering are just mind blowing.i dont know whether its just because dave lombardo drummed on the album or what,but it sounds really fresh and attacking.definatly worth a shot.the band i have lost track of is-and dont shoot me for this-slayer.havnt heard anything since seasons except the videos they've had on keerang n stuff-what is the best newish album?

DrillSergeant said:
Well, first I'd like to have your recommendations. For example I heard some good things about The Gathering. Is it worth picking up and can it compete with the old Testament stuff?
You bet it can. The only real downside of the album is that there are no impressive solo's. On the upside however they have Dave Lobardo on drums :worship: .

You will not believe your ears when you hear the drumming on "Fall Of Sipledome".

In short; stop thinking about it and BUY the fucking album already !:D
It's great!!! I promise. :tickled:

Mmm I am gonna BLAST that album right NOW!

I don't think that the gathering is as good as people say, but it is definitely buyable material. Some tracks are great like the first second and last. Everything else is average to me. It is a very good recovery for the mighty testament, but I await a bigger comeback from them.

and baldyboy, you are lucky to have lost track of slayer cause I bought all the latter slayer records except the new one (I had learned my lesson by then) and the best they do is have one really good track on them and the rest is garbage. I could have gotten the song from a friend or something. dangit!

I started very weird with Testament. I got "Low" first because mainly James Murphy was playing there, and I love the title song. Then I skipped "Demonic" because Murphy wasn't there anymore, and then I got "The Gathering" because at that moment Testament was one hell of a superband, and I like the album a lot. Is heavy as heavy can be and delivers with a 1000 Ton punch.

Then I went back and I get the classical catalogue minus "The Ritual" that never caught me (except for 'Return to Serenity').

So in a sense for me Testament is not a band that I forgot with time, but one I'm following actively in this last year. Now with the new lineup I hope a brand new slab soon.

are those latter slayer albums really that bad sayer?if its the case i guess i can count myself lucky not to have brought them.i must say that i found it odd when i saw them live earlier this year and apart from two tracks off their latest album-god hates us all,which i didnt recognise cause i didnt buy the album,everything else was from seasons or before.think you're wrong about the gathering though,that album rules.

baldyboy said:
are those latter slayer albums really that bad sayer?
Not quite! You just mustn't make the mistake and compare them to the 80s Slayer. That won't work! And as we're currently in the Old School section of this board it doesn't come as a big surprise that the people here detest Neo-Slayer with all their hearts. But that's like comparing St. Anger with Master Of Puppets. You see, two separate entities! I actually do like Diabolus In Musica and God Hates Us All for what they are. Post-Thrash music to yell at other drivers to, hahaha.
Now seriously, the real fiasco was Divine Intervention. It took the band four years to release this piece of shit with a pathetic 30 min. of an even more pathetic desperate struggle to sound as vicious and furious like the old days. Thank god, Slayer realized that their heydays had gone and rethought their situation. Undisputed Attitude proves that as it is merely a cover album. So...
The only things I am willing to admit to is that Slayer are not as good at what they do now as they were at what the did in the 80s and that they might have benefited from a name change.

Well, call me stupid for believing the hype. But I have some high hopes for the new album. I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong if I am mistaken :)

i might pyrchase god hates us all then and give it a listen in a more objective kind of way.i quite liked bloodlines,which was a video they did off the album.maybe its worth giving it a try.any of thier new live stuff any good?

baldyboy said:
i might pyrchase god hates us all then and give it a listen in a more objective kind of way.i quite liked bloodlines,which was a video they did off the album.maybe its worth giving it a try.any of thier new live stuff any good?

I like God Hates Us All, not sure why everyone is so down on this album. I don't have any of their 90's releases, lost track (interest) of them for a while.

alright, let me explain the slayer weaknes like this.

have you kept in touch with the kreator 90's releases?
they for the most part are good, they are post thrash, but they have energy.

Slayer's ghua has 2 tracks that are good post thrash, they are disciple(i bet that one sounds familiar) and exile. The rest of the album makes me cranky before putting me to sleep (it is a fucking tranquilizer ala motorhead!) and diabolus has only 1 good track which is the first one. undisputed attitude sounds so punky that it is depressing.

baldyboy said:
sayer,i hope your not saying in your passage above that master of puppets sucked.i am assuming that you couldnt possibly have meant that.say it aint so sayer!

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I WOULD HAVE LIKED MASTER OF PUPPETS IF I HAD NEVER HEARD OF TESTAMENT, KREATOR, DESTRUCTION, EXODUS ETC.
THATS JUST ME ANYWAY, I HEAR MOP IS MANY PEOPLE'S ALTIME FAVORITE.

I agree with the "separate entities" but I also disgree. Look at the best possible example. Death Angel, really good thrash, three albums and the singer quit. They renamed themselves to The Organization and changed their sound. To me totally decent.

But if you call yourself Metallica or Slayer and change your sound radically (to the bad side) still keeping your name, then is a no no (IMO).

BTW my favorite Metallica album is "Kill 'Em All"m followed by "Ride The Lightning". I admire the quality they achieved in MOP, but still I like their early work better.

Thrash really went downhill in the early nineties. I didn't really care for post-Seasons Slayer that much. Metallica put out a very mediocre S/T CD, then a bunch of garbage after that, finally culminating to that stinking pile of dung called St. Anger. I wasn't impressed with the Testament in the 90's nor Megadeth after Countdown. I didn't care for Pantera after Vulgar and Death Angel quit after the fantastic Act III. The 90's were a bad time for thrash.
I'm not saying everything sucked, but the "heyday" of the genre was over, most of the lesser known (and some better known bands) folded up. I was pretty much a thrash monster until around '92, but the pickings for good releases got slim, so I looked for late 80's thrash bands that somehow slipped through my fingers and started looking at different styles of metal like the more aggressive prog.
I listen to quite a bit of progressive stuff (as far as new stuff) even today, because I still can't find new quality thrash and the old-school style metal. I'm not a "progger" so to speak as I am just your basic "metal-head" who likes many of the sub-genres but I have found many bands that are chunked into the prog or power category are there because they don't fit any other one.
I realize I am getting off the subject a bit, but many of the thrash bandsI used to like either went to shit, like Metallica and Pantera or they fizzled after the early nineties and I haven't caught back up with their newest stuff, like Slayer and Testament. The bad thing about these older bands, though there are certainly exceptions, is that the creative pool runs dry and/or they change their style in a way I don't like, so I don't know what's coming or going with most of those oldschool thrash bands.

Bryant

The saYer said:
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I WOULD HAVE LIKED MASTER OF PUPPETS IF I HAD NEVER HEARD OF TESTAMENT, KREATOR, DESTRUCTION, EXODUS ETC.
THATS JUST ME ANYWAY, I HEAR MOP IS MANY PEOPLE'S ALTIME FAVORITE.
MOP was a fantastic release, but I thought AJFA was up to par with it as well and RTL not far behind. The drumming and rythm guitar were very intricate and complexed on those three releases and the music was good cover to cover. Vocals and bass were also above average. That was a pretty hefty combination and made Metallica quite popular. MOP is not my all-time fave, but I can see why it would be many people's.

Bryant

mop was the first real metal album i brought,very soon after it came out in 86.i guess for that reason alone it stays my fave.i loved ajfa as well.at the time metallica were gods to me.dammit i'm sorry,i cant resist-bobrockmustdie
anyway,on the lost contact with front(i think i posted this somewhere else too)i brought extreme aggression by kreator,really liked it,then didnt buy any more for some reason.anyone recommend any of their other albums?

baldyboy said:
mop was the first real metal album i brought,very soon after it came out in 86.i guess for that reason alone it stays my fave.i loved ajfa as well.at the time metallica were gods to me.dammit i'm sorry,i cant resist-bobrockmustdie
anyway,on the lost contact with front(i think i posted this somewhere else too)i brought extreme aggression by kreator,really liked it,then didnt buy any more for some reason.anyone recommend any of their other albums?

I LIKE ALL OF THEM, BUT WHAT THE POPULAR ONES ARE (AND DAMN GOOD ALSO) ARE...
PLEASURE TO KILL
VIOLENT REVOLUTION