Bands with no Bass

DolphinSplatter

What it is, Bullhorn
May 27, 2009
Miami/Orlando
has anyone ever recorded a grind band with no bassist?
i've been doing this pre-production kind of deal with my songs to try and figure out how to eq the guitar, always micing or eq differently to test out sounds.
basically what i'm looking for is a beefy tone that cuts through, nothing super clean.
does anyone have any tips?

here's one of my favorites takes
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1227782/swarm intelligence.mp3

thanks dudes

I was actually going to post soething like this, if anybody has any experience recording grind bands with no bassist, and what do you guys think of those bass heavy guitars trying to compensate for lack of bass? Pig destroyer is a common example.

That doesn't sound bad, I think it's the best you could do without bass and without the guitars sounding retardedly boomy. I'd say record a bass yourself when the band ain't watching and eq so it's all lows and has no presence or personality, they'll be stupid enough to think there's no bass haha. Maybe distorting the bass will help for it to blend with the guitars

edit: LOVING the drum sound, pure grind

haha it's my band dude
i really wanna keep it true to the live performance
pig destroyer's guitar doesnt have enough bass for my taste..
i'm shooting for something like assuck, even though i dont have bass hahaha
another good example of no bass is Maruta, but i don't think their tone would fit what i do.. but definitely better than pd

and btw, nevermind the shitty toms, i just slapped drumagog on there to hear them cause the heads were about 4 years old
when we record i plan on buying heads and keeping them real

wow, i also dig the drums, the snare is indeed pure grind
i also have no bass (yet) in my band
i usually just tried to compensate with more bass on the guitars usually
i think what helps to avoid boomyness or farting out is to have a fairly bassy signal already before the distortion of the amp, (maybe an eq or just pickups or guitars with much bass) that way you can have a constant low frequency rumble that doesn't get much more intense when playing palm mutes, because the distortion of the amp compresses it, maybe you could use a multiband compressor and just let it compress or limit the low frequencies, i'm not so sure if this works though, however the first method i mentioned usually works for me, the only problem is that at some point the sound starts to loose it's tightness, the palm mutes start to sound a little as if they were played through the neck pickup
the overall tone already sounds fuckin' brutal IMHO