Bands you listened to before they became "popular"

Utuk Xul

Demon Spawn
Feb 13, 2002
The 9th level of Hell
Visit site
I am looking for some bands where you bought their very first CD instead of picking up a new one then getting their back-catalogue.

My list:
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Entombed
At The Gates
Emperor
Opeth
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir(How many will answer this one?)
Suffocation
Dissection
Samael
Katatonia
Anathema
Darkthrone
Immortal

Lets see your lists people!

In Flames
Opeth (unless they were popular after MAYH was released and before Still Life)
Agalloch(started listening way before The Mantle was even an issue)
Clutch (are they popular?)
Green Carnation (way before LODDOD)
Life of Agony
Nile (I started listening after Catacombs, dos that count?)

This is really hard because it depends what your definition of popular is. I listen to tons of bands with a very low fanbase, but again, it depends how you perceive popular.

Machine Head....I saw them live 2 weeks after Burn My Eyes came out (W/Napalm and Obituary) and bought it the next day. The phenomenon totally happened to me-they were MY band, then they got successful. But I never cared about everyone saying sellout later on-I still dug it. BME is the best obviously, but I can get into their later work. Not much into the rappier parts of the latter work, but theres still stuff I can sink my teeth into.

I got the first Emperor (well, stole it) back in 1995 or something, and I had never heard of them, or black metal-I just dug the logo and the cover of that dark horse...and whoa, did that ever start an avalanche. Sure, I didnt get it when it came out originally (I got the Century Media licensed re-issue), but again, I had never heard of such a thing as black metal at the time. So, when the success came later on, I was kinda surprised that I was into them years before and never fathomed the success they'd have.

I bought the first Lacuna Coil based on a compilation, and I didnt know anyone that heard of them, and I was all into that for awhile, then that sorta caught on a bit...

In Flames
Borknagar
Elvenking... I just started to listen to them about a month ago, but... don't think they're popular? Oh well, I'm putting them down anyway.

popular? lots of those bands, no all of those bands are not known at all where i am from. i wouldn't call them "popular", i think;)

Lol well I didn't mean all the bands as a whole, as popular. I meant Elvenking. I know that lots of the metal community would deem Borknagar and In Flames as popular with in the metal community, but I haven't been on this board too long (If you couldn't tell -_-) And I wasn't sure if Elvenking was known.

Sometimes it can be hard to define popular...
I bought In Flames - Whoracle long before Colony was released and that band has really taken off since. I got the first HammerFall on the same week it was released, had never heard of the band before. I've been into Blind Guardian since 1996 when noone in Sweden basically gave a shit about them, now its a whole different story.

Originally posted by Utuk Xul
I am looking for some bands where you bought their very first CD instead of picking up a new one then getting their back-catalogue.

oh man I remember buying the first Metallica album when it came out in 1991 they went downhill fast from there man but hey i can at least say i was there in the beginning!!!!!!

Originally posted by St. Vitus
oh man I remember buying the first Metallica album when it came out in 1991 they went downhill fast from there man but hey i can at least say i was there in the beginning!!!!!!

I hope you mean 1981.

By theyby, I'm young, so my list is kinda short

Hate Eternal
Nile
Origin
Slipknot(yes, I like them. My friend gave me a demo about 6 months before their roadrunner debut came out. I liked the songs, and I had no idea there were nine guys in the band that wore masks. I guess that's why I can still listen to them.:p)

I don't really know if there's any bands records I bought when they came out. I mostly listen to 60's/70's stuff, so I couldn't get it back then as I'm only 21. I got into GN'R with "You could be mine", Maiden a little before "Fear of the dark" was released if I'm not mistaken. "The number of the beast" was the first one I got I think. I got a hold of Machine Head's "Burn my eyes" before they released "The more...", but not right after it was released. I hadn't heard of my favorite band, Type O Negative, until I saw "Black no. 1" on MTV and that was probably in '94 and "Bloody kisses" was their third album and the first one I bought. The first Satyricon I got was "The shadowthrone" and then "Dark medieval times" and I remember "Nemesis divina" being released. I think I got Theatre of Tragedy's first album and then "Velvet darkness..." shortly after it was released I think. Now they suck, too bad!