BarFest opportunity

Feb 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Not that I am encouraging festival wars, but ProgPower XII has failed to satisfy many prog fans in 2011. Glenn is gambling on a lineup of new and unfamilar bands. Nows the opportunity for BarFest to fill the void with any number of quality bands such as Cloudscape, Darkwater (the return), Masterplan (or Jorn), Seventh Wonder (PP popular band for 2010), Arena (if they tour again), Circus Maximus (PP crowd pleaser), Cornerstone, Cryptic Vision (under-rated Florida band), Shadow Gallery (now that they are playing a few shows. Be the first to have them play California), Tomorrow's Eve, When The Empire Falls, Vanden Plas, Blind Guardian, Any Jeff Scott Soto project, Andra Matos (could you be the first to land him in the States?), Everon, Silent Memorial, Threshold, or Van Canto.

Couldn't agree more. ProgPower has for years been less prog and more power metal - not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my preference. I applaud Glenn's business savvy in such a tough economy in recognizing the changing wants of his audience, but he's been giving me less and less reason to go each year. I skipped this year and do regret missing Kamelot, Seventh Wonder, DGM, and Delain. I'm with you with trying to fill the void in the prog rock/prog metal genre, given that festivals are often the only time a non-US band can justify coming over to the USA.

After Glenn read this post, he immediately corrected my error. Few of his choices are "new" bands. And I acknowledge that error. Maybe I should have said, new to PP and substandard for this great festival (IMO).

But I still call his choices obscure and for my personal taste, the worst PP lineup to date. But I have known my taste and Glenn's have been diverging for some time now. Through the years, I have found fewer and fewer bands of interest at PP. As I told a friend recently (and for the last two years), my days at future PPs are numbered. Regardless of the tradition of attending since PPII and same circle of friends, there's simply not enough interest in these current bands to make it worth the expense.

Hence the reason for my posting on the Barfest site. Your lineup at Barfest II was great. The venue sucked for lack of seating and parking but both could be resolved by another location. Please, bring back Barfest. IMO, Glenn has given you a golden opportunity to fill a market niche.

The funny thing about everyone hating the lineup this year (and saying its the worst lineup to date) is that this show will sell out way faster than in the previous several years. This current lineup is way better than the 2010 lineup (IMO). I've been trolling other forums and this is the first time that I've ever seen ProgPower mentioned. Sure, people who ONLY like prog metal won't like this year's lineup, but its still stacked with great bands for the general metal enthusiast. To each their own.

With that being said, I'd love to see BARFest back again. I went to BARFest II and it was awesome (minus the lack of seating). Darkwater is coming out with a new album too :D

Actually I haven't seen many bad reviews of PPXII. I see more Glenn a** kissing and whatever he chooses must be great. You maybe right that 2011 will sale out fast. Good for Glenn. Bad for me wanting to see a better festival in the coming years.

But like a friend recently reminded me, any band can put out a bad album occassional. So why not a festival. Of course, one person's bad album is anothers favorate.

My two cents...

I LOVE PROGPOWER XII Line Up..... Sanctuary, Therion, Arcturus, Mob Rules, Dream Evil etc... are not new and they are not unknown... They will slay..

I agree the 2011 lineup is way better than the 2010 line up... and this years Progpower was still cool...

But BARfest can do it's thing for sure. Dave has brought some cool line ups to BARfest. If BARfest could bring out a line up at least 6 months in advance of the show, people would come. I think the last minute thing kills, and I mean kills attendance... Especially if you want to pack the line up with Prog. At the last show BARfest was able to bring up local attendance by bringing in a huge headliner (LTE). If you had the Headliner and advanced notice it would be a huge success IMO...

But there is no way I can dis the Progpower line up... I'd show up to see Therion and Arcturus alone...

Dave is done with BARFest. Hell, just look up his name. He has only posted ONCE in 10 months on this particular forum. Is that someone who is interested in keeping BARFest alive?