Barren Earth

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
Just got this in an email from peaceville.

Barren Earth sign to Peaceville Records

Peaceville Records is proud to announce the signing of Finnish prog death metallers, Barren Earth. With a line-up consisting of former members of prog/folk metal legends Amorphis, as well as current members of Swallow the Sun, Moonsorrow & Kreator, the band has been busy recording their debut album at the renowned Seawolf Studios in Helsinki, with the tracks currently being mixed by Dan Swanö (Katatonia/Opeth/Novembre) who has described it as "One of the best albums I have ever had the privilege to mix. The perfect blend of light and darkness. A new level of amazing has been reached!!"

An EP is due November 2009, with the album currently scheduled for an early 2010 release.

The music of Barren Earth combines elements of modern and traditional death metal, with 70's prog rock and folk. Among the band's influences are artists such as Paradise Lost, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and also some pioneers of Finnish prog.

LINE-UP
Mikko Kotamäki – Vocals (Swallow The Sun)
Olli-Pekka Laine – Bass (Ex-Amorphis, Mannhai)
Kasper Mårtenson –Keyboards (Ex-Amorphis, Ben Granfelt Band)
Janne Perttilä – Guitar (Rytmihäiriö)
Marko Tarvonen – Drums (Moonsorrow)
Sami Ylisirniö – Guitar (Kreator, Waltari)

On signing to Peaceville:
“Getting signed by Peaceville Records is a great honour, as they are one of the very few metal labels left who have a passion and feeling for the music they release. To us, it also feels like coming home, because in a way they carry a big responsibility for BARREN EARTH’s existence by having released the most important albums from pioneers such as Autopsy and Paradise Lost. Those albums played a huge role, when we sucked our musical mother’s milk in the late 80’s and early 90’s. This is a fact that should be noticeably evident in Barren Earth’s sound and music. Hopefully BARREN EARTH will also be able to add a fresh spin to Peaceville’s already impressive roster”. - Olli-Pekka Laine

For more details on Barren Earth go to: www.myspace.com/officialbarrenearth

I havent had a chance to check out their myspace but i think ill be grabbing the ep when it comes out.

Opeth might have a rival:lol:jj
Im sure mike and the guys wouldnt think of it that way, but it would be good if they did, because it could give them a push to remain on top if you know what i mean.