Bass guitar - get rid of Ibanez for SX? Crazy?

22km Tombstone

Professional Apologizer
Nov 2, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Hi Sneapsters,

After scouring the forum for tips on getting a decent bass tone, I'm still struggling.

I know 99% of the time, the source (player) is the most important element, and while I'm not really a bass player (primarily guitarist, but I play/record bass for recordings) I feel like I've gotten a lot better lately.

Still, my bass sound is not what I want it to be, granted it's much better than before.

This recent thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/680481-getting-brighter-bass-sound.html describes exactly my problem, except I'm using an Ibanez SRX 505 bass. I got it used for pretty cheap a while ago. It has a basswood body and humbuckers, which probably contribute to the bassy/muddy, flat tone.

Hearing the DI from Ola's bass made me realize that's the kind of tone I want as well...

Am I insane for wanting to get rid of the Ibanez for an SX Jazz bass copy - specifically: http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2cmnnaash.html? Or would I be crazy not to? :D

Would it be the ticket to the sound I'd like to have (or at least close)?

I can probably sell the Ibanez locally for what I paid for it, which would cover the cost of the SX... Can't really spend more than $300 or so, since I have funds budgeted for other gear (guitar cab, new PC, acoustic treatment, etc).

Thoughts?

If you haven't tried brand new steel strings, I'd go ahead and do that first. They really did help my tone out, and although they didn't magically get me the sound of a jazz bass or whatever, it's still cool in its own way and it's more usable than it was. Otherwise, go for it.

I think I recall playing a SRX505 and I think you can get all the tone you need from this instrument.

New strings will be a big factor, also a sansamp unit is mendatory (at least for me) to get thar bright metallic sound, hard to copy with a plug-in

I always thought the Ibanez basses got bright. DR HI Beams seem to do the trick. Also, are you just using a DI to your interface into a modeler? I use my Hartke when I want a really bright tone and DI from it.

Right now, I'm just using the DI on my interface (Echo Gina 3G), which has quite a low input impedance, actually. So that could be attenuating the higher frequencies.

I'm curious about a Sansamp, been looking at the BDDI lately, maybe that's the ticket?
I'm mostly using plugins, yeah, just a split bass track with an amp sim on the mids + highs for some crunch, and compression for the low track.

I'll probably look into at least trying some new steel strings (currently use nickel steel, so that could be it too) before I give up! A proper DI box is also on the to-get list, so that might help.

I had a 70's-ish SX jazz bass at one point, but sold it to a buddy of mine. It really was a great bass for the money. I wasn't recording rock or metal with it at the time. That was way before the VM series came out though. I would probably say that they are pretty close. I think the pups on the VM series are a bit better, but both would still need a good setup right out of the box.

Have you read this thread?
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/630464-great-sounding-bass-recording-under-500-a.html

Everyone praises the Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass in there. It's a bit pricier than that rondo one though. I will buy the Squier in June so I guess I'm a bit biased.

Plankis, thanks for showing me this thread... I found that I can get the VM Natural Maple version (which appears to be the one most recommended, since its body is maple, not agathis) locally for LESS than the SX, actually, since I'm in Canada, I have to get a case + pay extra for shipping from Rondo.

Also this gives me the chance to actually go in and try the bass out to see if it's the sound I'm looking for.
:kickass: