Bass Guitar slplit Hi/Low

Caldo

New Metal Member
Jun 30, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice on this.

Ive been experimenting with the technique of splitting my bass track into two separate tracks and processing them with low cuts on one high on the other.

The way I have been going so far is to heavily compress the low track, no cab simulation and leave the high track pretty much uncompressed with the addition of a cab sim and somthing before the cab to give it some gain ie. (preampus brain, TSS).

I kinda like some aspects of this and feel overall I have more control over the bass, though there are some things i'd like to iron out.

1. Typically, Where would you Hi-cut / Low-cut your track?

2. What would you guys recommend with regards to compression on the two tracks?

3. Would you try and bring them back together into one track and maybe add something to "glue" them together? maybe a light buss comp?

One of the things that bugs me about the way i'm doing this is that I usually end up with two separate bass track sounding ..well.... separate. I would love to know how to make it sound cohesive without muddying it up.

I must apologise as I'm almost positive its been done to death already on here but I would really appreciate any knowledge, tips or tricks anybody has in this area.

:headbang:

I split them around 200-240 so I can compress the low end hard. I try to remove dynamics from the low end so that the low frequencies are constant throughout the entire song. The high frequencies are distorted, and are louder or softer then depending on the part of the song.

Thanks for the replies so far people.

Some interesting stuff in your thread seizure. I hadn't thought about side chaining to let the kick come through more; I'll have to give it a try.

Are there any rules regarding how steep a curve your roll off should have?

Thanks for the replies so far people.

Some interesting stuff in your thread seizure. I hadn't thought about side chaining to let the kick come through more; I'll have to give it a try.

Are there any rules regarding how steep a curve your roll off should have?