Bass issues

MC Pee pants

Wookie Member
Oct 24, 2004
Olympia, WA
Hi, I haven't posted here in a long time, but troubled times have fallen on my bass, so I'm looking for help.

A few weeks ago I bought new DR strings for my five string and ever since notes I fret high up on the neck seem to produce two pitches about half a step apart (maybe a little less or more). this doesn't happen on the high G string at all, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the extra wrappings on the other strings? Anyway if you have any info it would be much appreciated.

Also what would you do if the strap peg has pulled itself out of the wood at the horn?

Thanks in advance for any help

Also what would you do if the strap peg has pulled itself out of the wood at the horn?

Thanks in advance for any help

Didn't really understand your first problem, but for this screw the peg off, fill the hole with matches and put some superglue there also, let it dry and drill a new hole, but another option is just put a piece of match there and screw it back, hopefully it will keep.

I'm not sure how to really explain it, it's really weird, but I'll try again. It kind of reminds me Indonesian gamelan, which is probably not something your familiar with, but the metal mallet instruments they play are tuned slightly off to give the music a "shimmering" quality. I'm hearing that "shimmer," and it's not pleasant to my western ear.

I've wondered if it could be string tension since the strings are meant for a long scale bass, or string hight possibly, but I have no idea and have never heard about anything like this.

If you still don't understand I can post a sample of the sound of the strings.

thanks again

well no, it's not intonation, because the note just sounds out of tune without any tonal context. The string literally has overtones that are not in tune with eachother, but the problem gets worse as you fret higher on the neck. plus the g string sounds fine, which just makes it weirder.