Battle Royale!!!!

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
the DVD/Video came out on Monday or something and well its a great film. its about a fucked up Japan i think it is, where theres mass unemployment, and adults hate children. 40 15 year old students are taken to a deserted island with those thingys round their neck that blow up like in running man. they get a survival bag with a weapon in it (binoculars, knives, guns and other stuff) and are given 3 days to kill their friends. nice plot right? its like some sort of 40 ways to die film, anyone seen it? i know its a bit old but it never got into the UK Cinemas (for obvious reasons)

Quite surprised that so few people seem to have seen this film Transparent, but then I guess it isn’t to everyone’s taste and like you said it's not exactly top of the movie retail list. For those of you that haven’t seen it I’ll explain the plot a little bit more. As a result of adults growing concern to the rebellious attitudes of teenagers the BR act was passed. The BR act means that once every year a class of school kids will be taken to a deserted island run by an army & forced to kill each other until only one person remains alive.

There are certain rules involved that ensure that the killings are carried out…Each student is fitted with a collar that monitors pulse rate so that the people in charge will know when everyone dies. The collar is also fitted with explosives & will explode if anyone tampers with it, The collar also helps enforce the 3 day time limit for the battle as if there are two or more people left alive on the third day all collars will be activated so unless the people left alive start killing each other then everyone will end up dead.

This is the basic outline of what happens in the film & all of this is explained by one of the most surreal introduction videos you will ever see. Each student is also given a kit bag before being allowed onto the main island and this contains food, water, compass, map & a random weapon…These range from machine guns & grenades all the way down to saucepan lids & paper fans so it is all down to luck what you get.

Much has been made of the deaths in this film in the past with many complaining that they are very graphic, this isn’t really the case in my opinion as much worse death scenes are available in other films & the one’s portrayed here often have a darkly comical element to them, that isn’t to say that some of them aren’t quite graphic & if you are easily offended then this really isn’t the film for you. There is far more to the film than just a whole load of killing and it really is more of a love story, filled with regret & guilt that just happens to be set against a backdrop of mass slaughter than anything else.

If you are going to watch it at some point I would strongly recommend that you see the original version with English subtitles as the dubbed version is absolutely terrible and only seems to ruin things. It should be easy enough to pick up a copy of the film now as the Bfi passed it earlier in the year in it’s full uncut state & it even received a very limited cinema release. :)

Edit: Stupid grammar errors.

Originally posted by Birdbrain
If you are going to watch it at some point I would strongly recommend that you see the original version with English subtitles as the dubbed version is absolutely terrible and only seems to ruin things. It should be easy enough to pick up a copy of the film now as the Bfi passed it earlier in the year in it’s full uncut state & it even received a very limited cinema release. :)

Edit: Stupid grammar errors.

yeah i hate watching films dubbed especially Kung-Fu ones, they're so shit, in once upon a time in china (jet Li) the dubbed version even dubs the British soldier that speaks english in the original, how stupid is that, fuck dubbing. :cool:

Originally posted by _Transparent_
yeah i hate watching films dubbed especially Kung-Fu ones, they're so shit, in once upon a time in china (jet Li) the dubbed version even dubs the British soldier that speaks english in the original, how stupid is that, fuck dubbing. :cool:
LOL... VERY stupid! I concur. :lol:

If you are able to check out the danish movie called "Pizza King". It's great!!! It's the closest it can come to being superb, if you know what I mean. Almost superb, very, very close to superb (superb is the highest ranking in my book! 6 stars out of 6).

yeah, Lebowski, i cut off your Johnson...

''your living in a world of pain''

the big lebowski is one of those films you think is alright, then the next day, and then weeks etc you look back and laugh, then realise theres loads of great moments in it.

sooooooooooze, get Battle Royale, trust me you'll love it, go on, get it now. :D

Originally posted by Birdbrain
Much has been made of the deaths in this film in the past with many complaining that they are very graphic, this isn’t really the case in my opinion as much worse death scenes are available in other films & the one’s portrayed here often have a darkly comical element to them, that isn’t to say that some of them aren’t quite graphic & if you are easily offended then this really isn’t the film for you.

What irratates me about the violence in this film, is not infact anything to do with the film at all ;)

Because of the rather graphic death scenes I have seen a ridiculous amount of people, usually teenage boys, say how wonderful the film is for being gory.

Which, of course, really annoys me because, as you mentioned, is completely not what the film is about at all. What I think makes BR such a truly amazing film, is not the gore, it's the emotion involved in the story. You get completely sucked in start wondering if the alleigances you are seeing are genuine, and if you're like me, imagine yourself in that position, which, IMO, makes this one of the darkest and most depressing, yet touching films around. And also one of the most effective love stories I have ever seen, and when people focus on the deaths I feel it lessens the impact of the movie, and shows that the people concerned have, IMO, completely missed the point of the film altogether..

Not that any-one here is doing so, it's just something that has annoyed me greatly in the past.. Especially considering that compared to nearly all semi-extreme horror films the death scenes aren't gory in the slightest! :)