Behold...The Arctopus

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
I just recently discovered these guys, and I really like them a lot. I got the album "Skullgrid". They call themselves experimental/metal/progressive on their myspace, which has a number of their tracks.

http://www.myspace.com/beholdthearctopus

I'd add that they sound sort of like 20th century atonal music meets instrumental tech death meets jazz fusion. Really not everyone's cup of tea! I can see how some people would hate this INTENSELY and think it's a bunch of wanking. It sounds really natural to me. But, again, I'm a fan of composers like Schoenberg, Webern, Bartok, and love wacked out fusion jazz like Bitches Brew, so I may be a special case.

The songs strike me as compositions as opposed to songs, now that I think of it.

EDIT: Fuck, Samsara can you move this? Didn't realize where I was posting this. Sorry!:saint:

I love it... love stuff like this... enjoying this a lot gonna have to buy some records of theirs :)

Great! Had you heard them before?

The production on Skullgrid is quite nice. It has a killer, very live and dynamic drum sound. Overall, they make great use of dynamics, which always helps to keep things interesting.

I rather like that they have eschewed vocals. I can imagine what they'd sound like (Psyopus?), and I think they'd merely muddy the mix. Plus, it makes the songs feel more like "serious" music.

wow ... that's really some sick stuff. I'll need to listen to it some more but it might well be that I'm gonna buy an album of theirs.

soundave, I think I could do with some more musical suggestions of yours. That flamenco thread you started really gave me some new stuff to digest. So far, I've bought rodrigo and gabriela and I was close to buying some bob brozman (but that was another thread, i think). Keep 'em coming.

Listening now. A bit too random sounding for my tastes. Will give it a few more listens though, but I don't see myself "getting" it.

does anybody know where i can buy good quality (ie. at least 192kbps) MP3s of behold... the arctopus? i checked itunes, they have it but only in 128k. i checked metal blade and black market activities but they don't sell mp3s. amazon.com doesn't have the albums as mp3s and anyway, i'm from germany so i couldn't buy them anyway. i'm ready to spend some money but they wouldn't let me :(

eMusic!

I highly recommend that service, dwoakee. PM me. If you sign up through me, I can get free DL's. Great selection of stuff. Totally worth $9.99 a month!

eMusic!

I highly recommend that service, dwoakee. PM me. If you sign up through me, I can get free DL's. Great selection of stuff. Totally worth $9.99 a month!

Yes, I thought about that, too. But I don't like to subscribe to such a service :( Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. If I change my mind and sign up I'll definitely contact you.

watching youtube vids of arctopus atm ... these guys are so freakin tight ... the timing is incredible ... really some insane stuff!