Behringer DI 100 to track clean signal to reamp later?

El_Gato

I love this gain
Oct 20, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Does anybody use the Behringer ultra-DI 100 (active) to track the clean signal of sg´s humbuckers passive pickups? I only got this by now so, how is it going for you?

It´s 250kohm input impedance so i´m afraid of losing signal but i´ve seen most of you use ART direct box with 10kohm with good results.

I know i will better not use the Berhinger DI20 Ultra DI 2-Channel Active direct box instead it´s 250kohm input impedance too.

:ill:boring threat, i know:Smug:

Nope, I ask cause I don´t know how the dry signal would sound when tracking with a, possibly, more appropiate direct box.

If somebody has got any experience with th ultra DI100 it´s much appreciated.

Thinking maybe it would be better to use the DI of the digi 003 as it´s got an input impedance of 300kohm and the ultra DI100 250kohm. I still don´t have the reamp box to try myself. Just an idea.

Personally, I'd try and get a better DI box if possible - but the 003 should be okay for the job.

Are you talking about re-amping via the reverse DI box method?

EDIT; Do you mean DI box instead of re-amp box?

Also, if you're happy with the results of the 003R, I wouldn't worry about what gear.. if you get the sound you're looking for, that's what matters!
I've never really paid *that* much attention to matching up the impedances of DI'ing guitars, in my experience I just try things till they sound good.

IIRC that Behringer uses a transformer to balance the signal, which means the frequency response will not be flat, and makes it prone to picking up electromagnetic hum and stuff (unless it's shielded with mu-metal, which at Behringer's prices it won't be).

The active devices simply buffer the input to a passive DI, and like all active devices they add some extra noise to the signal.

So the Behringer box basically combines the disadvantages of active and passive units in one package.

The Digi 003 circuit I don't know about, but it's probably better.

This is a dry track of a sg through a Behringer ultra DI100 active direct box (250kohm) into a 003R:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y6re6t

And this is a dry signal of the sg into the 003R DI (300kohm):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tf9vbl

Which one is better for you? I think surprisingly the ultra DI100 sounds with more definition but I don´t know the final result as I still haven´t got a reamp box to try myself.

thanks_for_the_info.jpg

Which one is better for you?
I'm not going to get face-time with any decent speakers for a few days now, so can't really say myself, sorry. Hopefully someone else can help more.
I think surprisingly the ultra DI100 sounds with more definition...
It's possible, or that may be illusion caused by loss of bass response. Of course that inaccuracy might actually improve the sound anyway...
Until you have the reamp box and can audition the resulting tones that would be a difficult call to make.

why not re-amp within software with something like wagner, dirthead or revalver demo or something and impulses?
for just figuring out which di is better that should be totally fine and you can decide for yourself which you prefer.
I didn't give them a listen but my money would be with the 003r's Di. those behringer di boxes are super cheap and good di's come from quality components- passive di's are basically a transformer and like 3-4 other small components so you get what you pay for in quality.

or plug everything in backwards and use the di as a reamp box. ive done this with a shitty leem di, and the same beri. di you have with decent results. i do prefer the fire pod instrument input to the beri...

or plug everything in backwards and use the di as a reamp box. ive done this with a shitty leem di, and the same beri. di you have with decent results. i do prefer the fire pod instrument input to the beri...

You sure it was a DI-100 you used? Active DI boxes don't normally work backwards...

Using a passive DI backwards is not the best way for fidelity - the bandwidth is smaller through the transformer for one thing.

But then again fidelity ain't always everything...