Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Belef-Infection Purification
Candlelight Records-CDL097-March 8, 2005
By Josh Phillips

CANDLE081CD.jpg

Belef hail from Southern France and Infection Purification is their first full-length release, having only released an MCD, Deathwind Legion in 1999, shortly after the band's formation. Belef plays blastbeat black metal, influenced by bands such as Marduk. This is a frenzied war metal attack and you'll hardly have time to catch a breath. That is both a good and bad thing.

Every song on this album eclipses the 5 minute mark with many straying up towards six and the last track clocking in at over 11 minutes in length. For a release in this vein, I expected short songs that get to the point quickly. They destroy you and leave before you can figure out what just happened. On Infection Purification, that is not the case as the band drags out the songs for long periods of time without a great deal of variation. The musicianship throughout the release is tight, everything is undoubtedly well-played, the vocals are caustic and vile, a great match for the music. But, across the album, something is missing. The band seems to be following the train of thought, "Extremity for extremity's sake" because while this is brutal and vicious, it simply isn't very interesting. There are some tempo changes, but they aren't drastic or played out enough to make them an integral part of the song formula or something that people are going to notice enough to draw them out from the blood-spattering mayhem unleashed all around them. But, there is still something there, something I can't put a finger on. As bland as this can be, there is still a certain charm to their nuclear devastation.

Honestly though, I don't think this is a release I'll be giving many listens post-review. It's a perplexing piece, unimaginitive and dull, yet vile and punishing. It certainly walks the line, but unfortunately I think Infection Purification falls off into mediocrity instead of ascending to glory. Mix it up, add something to this aggressive attack, some more tempo changes and thrashing grooves. Combine that with songs that are only 3 minutes in length instead of 6 and this band may start to hit their stride. Potential that when drawn from the muck could lead to something interesting. The more you listen to this, the more it pulls you in, but I think at some point, the gimmick will fade and the album with it.

6.5/10

Official Belef Website
Official Candlelight USA Website

This bored me silly. With the exception of just a couple parts, it's one massive "CRRRRRRRR" like a vacuum cleaner. Good review, though I wouldn't have given it such a high score.

On second thought, the cover might be worth that much alone... :headbang: