Ben Grosse Kick

sonortony35

New Metal Member
Dec 8, 2010
I have been looking everywhere and haven't come up with an answer... Most noticeable on the new Underoath and new RED albums, the kick drum has this kind of fuzzy, distorted character to it. I was wondering if anyone had any insight one that kick sound.

Thanks, I'm new to posting on here but I have been on Gearslutz for a while now, thought I might direct the more "heavy" side of things here rather than there.

I've noticed a very similar kick sound from him from record to record. I have a feeling there is a sample, or a set of samples which sees some recycling. I've noticed most prolific mix engineers have their 'go-to' set.

You might be able to grab it from the start of that Alterbridge record? Hah.

Probably out of date now, but when I was working for him he would use a kick he took off an MPC exclusively. 2500 I believe, you could get one and scroll through the kicks :heh: . But seriously I'm willing to bet it's still the same one.

I think he still triggers it off an AMS DMX at least thats what I was told. Might have something to do with what you are hearing....that and the massive amount of limiting/clipping used in mastering.

I have been looking everywhere and haven't come up with an answer... Most noticeable on the new Underoath and new RED albums, the kick drum has this kind of fuzzy, distorted character to it. I was wondering if anyone had any insight one that kick sound.

Thanks, I'm new to posting on here but I have been on Gearslutz for a while now, thought I might direct the more "heavy" side of things here rather than there.
THERE'S THE KICK FROM THE EARLY 2000s RECORD

Attachments

• BEN GROSSE KICK.mp3
    30.5 KB · Views: 46