Best 12AX7 for 2203 preamp (V1 position)

Hi guys, I would like to try something better than the stock groove tubes in the preamp of my JCM 800 2203 Zakk Wylde Edition (regular 2203 with 6550 tubes, FX loop and BLS cosmetics).

I'll put in the V2 a Penta Labs 12AX7 (selected Shuguang 9th) and a Sovtek 12AX7 LPS balanced in V3.

What about V1 position? I've got here to try: new Mullard, NOS Mullard, Tung-Sol and EH Gold pin. I didn't try anything yet.

Sometimes I use the Soldano Hot Mod (goes in the V2 position), so I need to consider that when choosing the V1 tube to get a good balance.

Any experience here from the Marshall users about the best tube for V1 position?

I'd say Tung-Sol or Golden Dragon or NOS Mullard. JJ are cool in V2, I dislike them in V1.

I don't know, never had a reliability issue with them, it's just how it "feels".

JJ's are alright in cathode followers, it's Russian tubes that supposedly can't handle the higher voltage.

What kind of tone are you going for? I like JJ ECC83S's when I want to tame a bit of highs and lows and want a squishy feel. I like current Tung Sol 12AX7's when I want more scooped and less compressed. I find Shuguang 12AX7B's to be a good in-betweener. I don't like Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH's because I find they have a bit too loose low-end and harsh high-mids as well as some nasty nasal overtones, but that's just me.

If you can find em NOS Ei Tubes .... FUCKING LOVE them in V1 !!!!!

NOS-12AX7-EI-2.jpg