Best 2 x 12 Cabinet for a Peavey 6505 (for recording)?

AshM

Apr 30, 2009
London, UK
Hey everyone, pretty much what the title says.

I just bought a 6505 and will be using a TS in front, and am now thinking of which cab to buy. I'm leaning towards an Orange PPC212 unless anyone has tried anything thats might work better for tight metal tones?

Cheers in advance!

Ash

Mesa oversized cut in half, horizontaly.:)

Bit too much money for me sir! I'll bear you in mind for any future gear donations though... ;)

ive heard good things about a harley benton g212 vintage comes with celestion v30's and is pretty cheap
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

This is very, very interesting. I'm amazed at the price, surely this is too good to be truthfully great sounding?

i have one, for the price its excellent!!

Can you elaborate on tonal qualities? What do you use it with?

Cheers guys! :)

What exactly would be the difference between the Harley Benton g212 Vintage and the Orange PPC212 if they both use Celestion V30s?

What exactly would be the difference between the Harley Benton g212 Vintage and the Orange PPC212 if they both use Celestion V30s?

the construction, which makes a huge difference

Bit too much money for me sir! I'll bear you in mind for any future gear donations though... ;)

This is very, very interesting. I'm amazed at the price, surely this is too good to be truthfully great sounding?

Can you elaborate on tonal qualities? What do you use it with?

Cheers guys! :)

Goddamn Guitar has one, and his tones are fucking awesome
I'm sure he can be of help if you message him.

Actually, it's quite amazing the effect a cabinet's construction can have on its tone, and I would describe the Orange as sounding extremely middy and a bit dark (the 4x12 anyway, from many clips I've heard, but I've heard similar sentiments about the 2x12). Honestly though, having owned a couple of 2x12's and only having some success mic'ing them up, I would really recommend going for the Harley Benton 4x12, it shouldn't be too much of a financial stretch! :D

Actually, it's quite amazing the effect a cabinet's construction can have on its tone, and I would describe the Orange as sounding extremely middy and a bit dark (the 4x12 anyway, from many clips I've heard, but I've heard similar sentiments about the 2x12). Honestly though, having owned a couple of 2x12's and only having some success mic'ing them up, I would really recommend going for the Harley Benton 4x12, it shouldn't be too much of a financial stretch! :D

Arrrgh! OK, they're £271 on Thomann which is well within my price range. I can go up to about £400 really. I'd really like to go for an Orange as I've heard nothing but good things, and when I've recorded them, had nothing but good results, so if I can find a 2nd hand one for under £400 I'll go for it.

Oh and what difference does closed and opened back make to tone?

The construction on my 2x12 is great, its fairly nice to record, although the dimensions combined with the vintage 30's give it a very upper mid forward character. They are good cabs.

Joe

Upper mids = awesome, it's the excess of core mids (~1k) on the Oranges that gives me pause, but better that than the WOOLY midz (400 Hz) of the Mesa Stiletto cabs :D And yeah, the Benton may be a little questionable build-quality wise, but as long as you aren't planning on taking it around the world all it has to do is sit and make awesome noise, so just treat it like a lady! :D

Upper mids = awesome, it's the excess of core mids (~1k) on the Oranges that gives me pause, but better that than the WOOLY midz (400 Hz) of the Mesa Stiletto cabs :D And yeah, the Benton may be a little questionable build-quality wise, but as long as you aren't planning on taking it around the world all it has to do is sit and make awesome noise, so just treat it like a lady! :D

You might be right there, although I am in a band.. So I couldn't say for sure I wouldn't take it on tour :s ah decisions...

How about a Framus Dragon or Hughes&Kettner? Slightly more expensive but not as much as Orange or Mesa.

Right now I'm still thinking see if I can find a used Orange 4x12, if not then maybe the Harley Benton.

Mesa 2X12 cab's kick ass. I had one for awhile and really regret selling it. I also had a pretty nice Randall XXL 4X12 at the time which is just basically an oversized cab w/ vintage 30's and to tell you the truth I thought the Mesa 2X12 sounded better! You can find them pretty cheap too on the used market...think I picked mine up for $400 and it was in mint shape. I'm also curious about the Avatar 2X12 Contemporary cab.....heard alot of good things about them.

I play thru. a 4x10 which i will at some point of course change as i hate the "clangy, clanky, bell tone mids" i get from it. Does anyone know what region of mids contribute to this???

Mesa 2X12 cab's kick ass. I had one for awhile and really regret selling it. I also had a pretty nice Randall XXL 4X12 at the time which is just basically an oversized cab w/ vintage 30's and to tell you the truth I thought the Mesa 2X12 sounded better! You can find them pretty cheap too on the used market...think I picked mine up for $400 and it was in mint shape. I'm also curious about the Avatar 2X12 Contemporary cab.....heard alot of good things about them.

Nice to hear good things about a 2x12.

So what is the tonal difference between a 2x12 and 4x12? I've gone with the assumption I don't need a 4x12 if only for use in the studio...?