Best albums of 2016

Keenan

Crippling Self Doubt
Apr 9, 2009
Florida
This forum must live! I figure this will get some conversation going here as this place isn't too busy anymore.

Anyway! Post your favorite albums from this past year! Top 10, top 5, metal, other genres, anything really.

I'll start with my top ten.

10 : Metallica - Hardwired... to Self Destruct
9 : Insomnium - Winter's Gate
8 : Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
7 : Testament - The Brotherhood of the Snake
6 : Megadeth - Dystopia
5 : Obscura - Akroasis
4 : Gojira - Magma
3 : Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
2 : Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
1 : Vektor - Terminal Redux

Special mention for my all-time favorite band, Dream Theater's "The Astonishing" for being an astonishing BORING album. Never before have I been so disappointed in an album. Shame on you all for releasing this catastrophe.

From what I've listened to properly this year, these are the albums I've enjoyed the most...

Ihsahn - Arktis. In my opinion the best thing he's done. Yes, including Emperor.
Megadeth - Dystopia ...which, I know I'm biased, I think was BRILLIANT. Kiko is a prefect fit and probably the best lead player since Marty. And Chris Adler's work was fantastic, shame he's no longer part of the band because again, I think he was a great fit.

And the wildcard? Moonsorrow's Jumalten aika ...which I found to be a very impressive listen

Honourable mention goes tooo... Darkthrone!

1.) Vektor - Terminal Redux

The album of the year for me. Masterpiece.

2.) Mercyless - Pathetic Divinity

excellent brilliant Death metal album! though there's alot of Morbid angel influence in all the songs.

3.) Voivod - Post Society
was a very nice Piece but too short for me. Iam now really looking forward to a new album.

4.) Suicidal Tendencies - World Gone Mad

still have to listen to this album but the songs were very good. Also surprising that Lombardo is on the drums now with them.

All in all Iam just glad this fucking horrible year is over. Looking forward to the new Kreator album.

Reactions: zerostatic
This forum will not die until we do.

10. Ashbringer - Yugen
9. Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
8. Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas - Mariner
7. Russian Circles - Guidance
6. SubRosa - For This We Fought the Battle of Ages
5. Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolution
4. Howls of Ebb - Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows
3. Vektor - Terminal Redux
2. Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
1. Spektr - The Art to Disappear

I am looking forward to Kreator as well.

Reactions: zerostatic
^I completely forgot about Russian Circles putting out a new album. I meant to get it back in like August and it totally slipped my mind! :lol:

10) Vader - The Empire
9) Destroyer 666 - Wildfire
8) Exmortus - Ride Forth
7) Fleshgod Apocalypse - King
6) Witchery - In His Infernal Majesty's Service
5) Death Angel - The Evil Divide
4) Vektor - Terminal Redux
3) Mercyless - Pathetic Divinity
2) Suicidal Angels - Division of Blood
1) Anthrax - For All Kings

Vektor would be #1 except it is too damn long. Some great ideas, and the quality of musicianship is unparalleled, but it is tough to listen to the album as a whole in one sitting. The Anthrax album gets the #1 nod because it has a ton of catchy riffs, hooks, and memorable songs, a quality that is missing from a lot of modern thrash albums.

Other albums that were of quality this year:
Aborted - Retrogore -(Best artwork)
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Hellbringer - Awakened from the Abyss
Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
Asphyx - Incoming Death
Khemmis - Hunted
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
SellSword - ...And Now We Ride
Winterfylleth - The Dark Hereafter
Megadeth - Dystopia
Metallica - Hardwired

The Metallica album has forty minutes of good music. Unfortunately, the album is nearly 80 minutes long and suffers from gratuitous use of wah-wah pedal heavy guitar solos.

Reactions: Snyde
I didn't do honorable mentions but Ripper, Asphyx, Anthrax and Mercyless would probably be there. All of them excellent albums. Surprised nobody mentioned the new Watchtower EP. It was damn great.

I had never heard of Wretched Soul prior to reading your article, Dave. Listened to a few songs off Ghost Road off Youtube and good lord. What have I been missing!?