Best Deris-era HELLOWEEN Album?

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
Of all the Andi Deris-fronted Hello-discs, which is YOUR favorite? Mine is easily BETTER THAN RAW from the close of the last millennium. I hope to hear at least 2 songs from this CD when Helloween plays ATL in September!

Better Than Raw and Rabbit Don't Come Easy do it for me, with a couple songs from Master of the Rings, but Better Than Raw is definately my fav from the whole helloween discography.

Good thread, eventhough I don't have an answer! I've never been a fan of Deris, so I don't own anything with him singing on it. I might have to give the guy another shot though, since I'll be seeing him ProgPower Thursday.

~Brian~

Time of the Oath, followed by Better then Raw as a close 2nd. They both are 2 of my favorite albums of all time and are the epitome of Deris Helloween for me.

Love 'em all......here's how I rank them:

1. Better Than Raw
2. Master of the Rings
3. The Dark Ride
4. Keeper 3 - The Legacy
5. Gambling With The Devil
6. The Time Of The Oath
7. Metal Jukebox
8. Rabbit Don't Come Easy

Also....just dusted off Andi's first solo disc "Come In From The Rain".....forgot how much I loved that one!

I don't have a favorite album, because so many of them are hit-or-miss for me, but I do have a favorite song: Where The Rain Grows from Master of The Rings.

A friend from Japan put it on a mix tape for me in like 1995 and it blew me away. However, he and left off all the band names and song names from the tape so I didn't know what was what (also where I first heard In Flames, Edge of Sanity, and Dissection and not knowing who they were but enjoying the songs immensely). When he told me it was Helloween I was floored because the last thing I'd heard was Keepers II, since this was during the time Noise pulled out of the US, and when people were just starting to really use the Internet to promote/communicate metal. Oh yeah, he also put Gamma Ray's Man on a Mission on there which also floored me because the last thing I heard by them was from the first album with Ralf.

</ramble>.

I would not call myself a huge Deris fan.He grows on me more and more with every listen. I do however own almost every Helloween CD. I would have to echo what VenomGA said, The Dark Ride followed by Gambling With the Devil!

I would put THe Dark Ride as my 2nd favorite Helloween album behind the mighty Walls Of Jericho

The first and last are my faves: Master of the Rings and Gambling With the Devil. I pretty much love all of the Deris era cds. His vocals were such a shift from Kiske, but I really think it was a great move for the band creatively. Say what you want about present day PC69 (I like 'em!), but they were MUCH more varied in their song writing when Deris was fronting the band. Just my two cents!
BTW.... I actually enjoy the Deris solo albums as well!

One last thought.... I know that there's much love for Kai Hansen being a big influence in power metal, and how he pretty much "created" this style, but where's the respect for Michael Weikath? Hell, he's written just as many Helloween classics as Kai, yet I don't think he gets his due. Personally, I think Weiki's writing is much less derivitive than Hansen's nowadays. Give it up for Weiki!